Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

Hi Wadas people. Ive been asked if I can do a community Astronomy night in Crigglestone, Wakefield in November. initial thoughts of the date was the 19th of November to start around 7pm.  I was wondering if anyone was interested in helping/coming along to the event. i will be taking my scope, but thats my personal choice and if people didnt want to bring there own scopes I fully understand that. they have asked me if i want paying but ive said if they want to they can make a contribution to wadas.

If its bad weather though the event will just have to be cancelled, probably on that same day.  The 19th seemed the best, i think there will be some moon around then in the evening and they wanted it on a weekend so any children could attended it. 

ive had interest from one other club member already so just thought id post on here and see what people think.
Any questions then please ask.
Cheers
Chris

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Soupy said:

Some great images guys you've all been busy. Hope kelling had gone well too.

Heading to winscarr tonight with Ryan anyone else able to join us?

I am ok for Winscar, which car park and what time Soupy ?

Got out for a while earlier on tonight, seeing wasn't great though and a lot of dew around. I tried the new polar align feature in SharpCap v2.9 - it was a lot of faffing, and I'm not 100% it actually made things better than usual since PHD complained of an orthagonality error (which I ignored) and the guiding was pretty bad. Might have to look into one of those EQ6 Wedges that Vicky has since adjusting the altitude bolts on the EQ6 isn't fun. Saying all that, I did manage to get some LRGB subs on M57 and this is the result after a bit of processing:

M57.jpg

Glad ypu guys got put. I'm up and about packing bits and bobs away ready for my return trip up north.

Last night was a bit of a dew fest and the sky was either full of moisture or we were in a bank of fog all night.

Nice campsite called pencelli castle with very friendly staff. Its surrounded by trees so horizons are limited but some cracking views friday night.

NGC 891 the silver needle being by far the best with lots of detail to the huge central dust lane. Managed G1 in Andromeda and the E and F stars were easily teased out in the trapezium.

Next one is in march so I will try to make one as well as a trip to the Isle of sky late next month.

On 9/30/2016 at 16:57, astrotyke said:

Hi Wadas people. Ive been asked if I can do a community Astronomy night in Crigglestone, Wakefield in November. initial thoughts of the date was the 19th of November to start around 7pm.  I was wondering if anyone was interested in helping/coming along to the event. i will be taking my scope, but thats my personal choice and if people didnt want to bring there own scopes I fully understand that. they have asked me if i want paying but ive said if they want to they can make a contribution to wadas.

If its bad weather though the event will just have to be cancelled, probably on that same day.  The 19th seemed the best, i think there will be some moon around then in the evening and they wanted it on a weekend so any children could attended it. 

ive had interest from one other club member already so just thought id post on here and see what people think.
Any questions then please ask.
Cheers
Chris

I may be available Chris

8 hours ago, MattGoo said:

Got out for a while earlier on tonight, seeing wasn't great though and a lot of dew around. I tried the new polar align feature in SharpCap v2.9 - it was a lot of faffing, and I'm not 100% it actually made things better than usual since PHD complained of an orthagonality error (which I ignored) and the guiding was pretty bad. Might have to look into one of those EQ6 Wedges that Vicky has since adjusting the altitude bolts on the EQ6 isn't fun. Saying all that, I did manage to get some LRGB subs on M57 and this is the result after a bit of processing:

M57.jpg

Looking good 

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

I may be available Chris

Cheers Eric, that would be nice. Its only an outdoor event so if the weather is bad then we will obviously have to cancel maybe on the day. But the more people there then the better it will be im sure. 

glad you got some viewing in Damian, look forward to catching up on your return.

managed two sets images last night, just had a play around with some levels. it seemed to be glob night for me!

M15 and M2, before the dew got the better of the kit. Was using the new screw fitting (cheers Lee and Ryan) to attach the guide camera to one of my old finder scopes and it worked a treat with almost flat guiding graphs.

M15adj.jpg

m2adj.jpg

Excellent images from everyone well done. 

Glad you got some clear sky's Damian hope it was not too wet also. 

I would have loved to have come out last night but up early for work. It's nice to hear some of you managed to get out 

I'm back everyone!

Fabulous images Soupy and Matt - lovely colour in M57 there.

Matt - my MkII EQ wedge upgrade worked a treat! Left it slightly loose so I could do the fine AZ adjustments. Then tightened it all up once I was lined up. The system worked really well and I had it PA'd perfectly in the little circle within 10 minutes. Did the 3 star align to make the Goto work. My targets were centred and tracked really well. Even though I found the upgrade stressful as there is no going back, I don't regret doing it now I've had chance to use it properly.

I got back home around 5.30pm last night after a thoroughly enjoyable 4 nights at Kelling Heath. The weather was "mixed" to put it mildly lol. The best of the skies were definitely over the previous weekend and the beginning of last week. However, I managed 2 full nights outside, although the patchy cloud meant a total of approximately 7.5 hours imaging time over the two nights. Wednesday evening and Saturday evening were both stormy, so fun was had in the pub with plenty of Astro banter. All was not lost!

Didn't think it was worth setting up my CCD so I used my DSLR and guiding software to image NGC6960 the western veil (witches broom) nebula on Thursday night, and M81 & M82 on Friday night. Will have a look at my subs over the next couple of days. Did some quick M57 but with only 4 X 2 minute subs before total cloud cover I don't know what image I'll get.

Pleased to see some of you got out last night. I was too exhausted to even think about it, plus I thought I'd better spend some time with the family :)

By the way, Chris, yes pencil me down for 19th November. I've put it in my phone so let us know when this date is confirmed.

Glad you got back safely and had a good time.  The 19th of November is confirmed with them as it was the only free saturday that I had, so thanks for that Vicky. It was nice to get out with the scope last night for a few hours too, I took a look at m81 and 82.

p.s. have you seen the things Mark has been saying about you on FB, terrible behaviour Lol :):) 

Welcome back Vicky glad you had a good time. Shame the weather was not kinda to you all but unfortunately that's what we have to put up with. 

Looking forword to seeing your images. 

And have you seen what that Chris has been saying about you on FB I would not say the things he has. Shameful it is 

5 hours ago, astrotyke said:

Cheers Eric, that would be nice. Its only an outdoor event so if the weather is bad then we will obviously have to cancel maybe on the day. But the more people there then the better it will be im sure. 

I will bring my gear jut in case and set the laptop up for viewing. 

Back from the south wales star party.

Thursday had a few views but cloud rolled in about midnight.

Friday and the rest of the mob turned up. All in four dobs 18" plus. Some fantastic viewing with the best skies I've had this year so far.

20161002_153328~2.jpg

20161002_153813.jpg 

Will be attending next year's spring event if I can 

Archived