Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck up there. It's a tad to far too come up for me today as I'm sat in a hotel in Johannesburg!

Looking forwars to some clear skies tonight and standing on my head so I can identify all the upside down constellations! Oh not forgetting the magellanic clouds as well! ;p

Had a fun afternoon with the WADAS gang. Unfortunately, the clouds were ever present but we managed a few glimpses of the Sun through the gaps. A few nice prominences to be viewed today. We had a bit of fun kite flying too! Was good to have a get together and catch up :)

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Soupy said:

Good luck up there. It's a tad to far too come up for me today as I'm sat in a hotel in Johannesburg!

Looking forwars to some clear skies tonight and standing on my head so I can identify all the upside down constellations! Oh not forgetting the magellanic clouds as well! ;p

And don't forget Omega Centauri - #1 on my southern hemisphere list

Quick look out last night, clear skies but some light pollution and a gibbous Moon hid the magellanic clouds. However I was in the right spot with the camera using Stellarium fit reference. So more to come I feel. 

Scorpius was looking very prominent with Formaulhault also riding very high in the sky. Omega centauri was below the horizon though. :(

Only been 2 days but I'm excited as the moon wanes to see what I might see. Going on safari for a few days at the end of the week so I'm hoping that means darker skies! Will be just a"camera on a tripod" as Paul money is oft to say but some PS magic should help! ;)

Talking of Paul Money  I've put the details up on Facebook today of our next society meeting.it's the 15th September at 7:30 at Horbury academy as usual. Please share on Facebook and Twitter.  Non members are £3 as usual and includes refreshments. Paul is a fantastic and enthusiastic speaker so it's not one to be missed!!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1238376159528468/

On 22/08/2016 at 18:14, Soupy said:

Only been 2 days but I'm excited as the moon wanes to see what I might see. Going on safari for a few days at the end of the week so I'm hoping that means darker skies! Will be just a"camera on a tripod" as Paul money is oft to say but some PS magic should help! ;)

Hope the skies are clear and dark for you Soupy

So do I Chris but think I might have to wait till I get out of Johannesburg as they are building just outside the hotel so have some great big spotlights on all night! Saw the rising moon though last night and it was on its side! I'll try to get a pic tonight!

2 hours ago, Soupy said:

So do I Chris but think I might have to wait till I get out of Johannesburg as they are building just outside the hotel so have some great big spotlights on all night! Saw the rising moon though last night and it was on its side! I'll try to get a pic tonight!

Does it seem strange the sun etc been in the north rather than the south, i think i would find that very strange

Oh! I might have just popped onto the Web site ;)

As for the position of the sun I haven't really thought about it as it is almost directly overhead anyway.  Mars and Saturn are well up though in the night sky!

7 hours ago, rockystar said:

Friday night looking like a chance of some clear skies. Anyone fancy heading out if it comes to pass?

Hope it is clear, although I won't be able to join you as we are going camping again this weekend to Cannock Chase in Staffordshire. Terry has miraculously got the Bank Holiday Monday off, so we're making the most of it. I'm taking the little frac, DSLR and Star Adventurer just in case we get clear skies, although I'm not sure what the campsite is like for the lights. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it and it'll probably be the last camping trip with the family this year :)

Archived