Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Ludlow

Bob Howard

Hello All,

Ummm...  Wow, it's hard to write one of these!  :-P

OK, I'm Bob, I live in Ludlow in deepest, darkest Shropshire and I work in IT.

I've been a space geek since I was a little kid, looking up at the moon with my Fischer-Price Telescope that I badgered my mum to get me for ages.

Since then, I've been fascinated by astronomy and space "stuff", but not had the time or money to take it further.

My soon to be wife is the same, and I'm planning on getting her a nice beginner scope for Christmas.  (It's for her!  Honest! :-D)

Anyway...

Glad to be here and I hope the clouds stay away from you all, wherever you are.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bob. Just to let you in to a secret (shush!), but I didn't write a welcome note up when I first joined up on SGL. Keep it quiet now! ;)

Hope you enjoy your time here, and enjoy the new scope when you get it. Any advice about it just post up a query here and get oodles loads of replies on how to spend your hard earned cash! ;) 

Hello Bob and welcome to SGL. Glad you've joined us and hope you get to have quality viewing with the boss. Have you considered a pair of binoculars while your waiting for your scope. I started off with a pair of 10x50 and found them great for constellation learning while waiting for my first scope.

2 hours ago, Bob Howard said:

I live in Ludlow in deepest, darkest Shropshire and I work in IT.

Welcome to SGL, Bob. I'm not far away in Wyre Forest in the county next door, although I suspect you have darker skies! All the best for your forthcoming wedding.
John (also in IT)

Hi all!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome :-)

15 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Have you considered a pair of binoculars while your waiting for your scope. I started off with a pair of 10x50 and found them great for constellation learning while waiting for my first scope.

I've been looking for my old bino's I used to use when I was doing archery but they seem to have disappeared into the aether.  I'll be using the Mk 1 eyeball til I manage to buy a cheap pair :-)

13 hours ago, ToxoLight said:

If you've not found it yet a good way of finding your way around the skies is with the free Planetarium download www.stellarium.org/ you can configure the settings to your location and add various plugins.

I'm planning on installing this tonight and having a dig around in it :-)  Looks like an excellent piece of kit!

Hello Bob and welcome to STG, nice place Ludlow I am just down the road from the historic place. Have spent much time there over the years and a lovely castle on the approach way. 

I don't know if you have chosen a scope for yourself I mean your wife? at the moment. But you are better waiting and saving a bit more and get something of quality, than rush in . I suggest a skywatcher 200p or 250p if you want a bit more aperture , great bang for buck these two scopes, great for the beginner's and more experienced a like and good performer's☺

Any questions then post them on the site, and us members will do our best to answer (we do have a bit of a debate sometimes though, all in good humour though)

Anyway welcome to the SGL

Archived