SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Explore scientific 24mm 68 degree

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, John said:

Very useful focal length / field of view :icon_biggrin:

These are the main reasons I got it, I heard of a few people that the Pentax is a bit shy on fov at 24mm and as luck would have it this came up ☺️

My only question is do you think this will cater for most of my bigger DSOs?

Especially open clusters?

Richard

2 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Richard this is a very good eyepiece. Last week using the 24mm on my 12" Dob and having an Astronomik O-III filter fitted I had the best view, ever, of the Veil Nebula.

Cheers Mark,

I do enjoy my DSOs I have to be honest open clusters and nebula especially.

Ive heard it said that the colours are warm on this EP compared to Pentax eps?

Im not sure if this would make any difference in observations?

Richard

28 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Richard it does give a nice FOV - in my 12" Dob I have 1 Degree 05' - whereas my 4" APO Frac gives 2 degrees 16' which is very nice on many clusters.

Thank you Mark, I can't wait to try it, I should get a first light tonight with any luck ☺️

1 hour ago, Richard Hather said:

....My only question is do you think this will cater for most of my bigger DSOs?

Especially open clusters?

Richard

Depends on the scope that the eyepiece is being used in but the vast majority of DSO's will fit in a 1 - 2 degree true field. M31 needs 4 degrees and if you want to get the whole of the Veil nebula in (ie: both the E & W segments) you need around 3.5 degrees but these are exceptions.

8 minutes ago, John said:

Depends on the scope that the eyepiece is being used in but the vast majority of DSO's will fit in a 1 - 2 degree true field. M31 needs 4 degrees and if you want to get the whole of the Veil nebula in (ie: both the E & W segments) you need around 3.5 degrees but these are exceptions.

Thank you John, I will be using the eyepiece in my Celestron Nexstar 6SE.

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard Hather said:

Thank you John, I will be using the eyepiece in my Celestron Nexstar 6SE.

Richard

In which case the eyepiece will show a true field of a touch over 1 degree - twice the diameter of the full moon.

3 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

I will be using the eyepiece in my Celestron Nexstar 6SE.

Richard

To my understanding, Celestron f6.3 reducer is an excellent accessary to C6, it suits C6's smaller rear port very well, flattens the field in C6, and gives you around 1.6° TFOV with your 24mm ES.

26 minutes ago, YKSE said:

To my understanding, Celestron f6.3 reducer is an excellent accessary to C6, it suits C6's smaller rear port very well, flattens the field in C6, and gives you around 1.6° TFOV with your 24mm ES.

That would be very useful YKSE I've just added it to my wish list ☺️

It is getting smaller slowly ?

3 hours ago, YKSE said:

I know very little about SC telescopes so I might be wrong on this. Doesn't it cause vignetting?

11 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

Just recieved this baby especially for open clusters and the bigger DSOs ☺️

I got it 2nd hand for the bargain price of £60 ☺️

Cant wait to try it out I've heard good things about it ?

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

image.jpeg

Nice combination Richard! Well done and s/h too! :thumbsup: 

15 hours ago, Piero said:

I know very little about SC telescopes so I might be wrong on this. Doesn't it cause vignetting?

Reducers certainly do vignette with max field 2" eyepieces like a 41mm Panoptic, and they distort the outer field mightily as well.  My understanding is that 27mm diameter fieldstop eyepieces like the 24mm SWAs and 32mm plossls don't vignette in C8 and larger tubes.  However, given the smaller baffle tube diameter of the C6 series, it might be possible to see some vignetting with them.

15 hours ago, Piero said:

In theory, there should be some vignetting and can be caught with photo. For visual, the vignetting comes gradually since the the rear baffle is not at the focus plan (field stop), and our eyes are VERY incensitive to gradual vignetting, some say that we don't see vignetting even if 50% illumination drop in the edge. The f6.3 reducer has 24mm clear aperture, people have used it in C8 (38mm rear baffle diameter) with 20 Nagler (27.4 mm field stop) and 31 Nagler (42mm field stop), and not seeing vignetting

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/546471-eyepieces-that-can-handle-an-sct/?p=7378304

My own experience with C8, 40mm SW Aero has 46mm field stop, clearly larger than the 38mm, I need to try very hard to see the very slight vignetting, while latteral colors in SWA eyepieces are much more readily seen.

On 15/08/2016 at 12:38, Richard Hather said:

Just recieved this baby especially for open clusters and the bigger DSOs ☺️

I got it 2nd hand for the bargain price of £60 ☺️

Cant wait to try it out I've heard good things about it ?

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That Pentax looks familiar Richard!:-)

The ES 24mm 68 is IMO one of the best performing eyepieces per £ of cost that you can buy, and its beautifully built too. I used that very same combination of SMC zoom and ES 24mm for a good while and was very pleased with it (I still have the ES24mm).

With regard to the colour tone, I have never seen the Pentax or ES ranges as warm..in fact one of the strengths of both ranges to my eyes is the faithfully neutral rendition of colours.

The ES 24mm is one of my most used EPs:-).

Dave

4 hours ago, F15Rules said:

That Pentax looks familiar Richard!:-)

The ES 25mm 68 is IMO one of the best performing eyepieces per £ of cost that you can buy, and its beautifully built too. I used that very same combination of SMC zoom and ES 24mm for a good while and was very pleased with it (I still have the ES24mm).

With regard to the colour tone, I have never seen the Pentax or ES ranges as warm..in fact one of the strengths of both ranges to my eyes is the faithfully neutral rendition of colours.

The ES 24mm is one of my most used EPs:-).

Dave

If  I'm honest Dave is was you that got me seriously thinking about getting a ES 24 instead of a pan 24.

Then of course this came up in he same week of me purchasing the Pentax ?

So I thought what have I got to lose go for it and it feels very sturdy and well built I can't wait to try it ☺️

Richard

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

Many congratulations, love the boxes. I had the Meade version using the same elements and it was a very good eyepiece in all but the fastest scopes where it did show some astigmatism towards the edges, so I kept the 24mm Panoptic.

I've heard it can cause astigmatism but I'm hoping as i have a f10 it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you Alan can't wait to try it please let it be tonight, I have a few open clusters on my hit list ☺️

Richard

I had a few hours out last night and I have to say I'm very happy with how it Performed on the star clusters and a few other objects I observed.

I obviously compared it with the Pentax and for me the ES doesn't offer as much detail or contrast but more then enough because of the benefits of the FOV.

It was a joy sketching IC 4665 with the surrounding star field ☺️

I also looked at a few more dso and obviously Saturn and the moon and all views were very pleasing ☺️

Richard

I got this a little while back as ex-display from Bresser.de for 75 euros and it's really nice eyepiece and has spent a significant amount of time in my 120ST lately. Can't say I've noticed any real aberrations even at f/5 at the edge of the FOV.  Very well built and solid and has given awesome wide-field views.

Archived