Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thoughts on which imaging rigs to concentrate on

Gina

I was having problems again with the astro laptop and running both SharpCap and APT - needed a cold boot, a remote reboot didn't do the trick.  I don't think the laptop likes the environment in the scope room and it's stopped working with the longer USB cables from the warm room (including on cable and USB hub at the mount). 

I'm thinking of having another go at the Beeline mini PC box but I'm trying to decide where discussion of this belongs now that this thread is supposed to be about imaging ideas etc.  I don't think it's "DIY Astronomer" related exactly either.  Must go through the forums here and see which it would fit into...

Edited by Gina

Hmmm...  Been through the forum list and it seems to "fall between two stools" - Imaging Equipment.  So it falls within the Equipment group but not into any forum within this group.  Guess I'll put it in this forum (Imaging Discussion) as another thread then admin/mod could move it if they think it belongs somewhere else.

I'm posting it here :- Computer for Image Capture

Edited by Gina

22 minutes ago, Gina said:

Hmmm...  Been through the forum list and it seems to "fall between two stools" - Imaging Equipment.  So it falls within the Equipment group but not into any forum within this group.  Guess I'll put it in this forum (Imaging Discussion) as another thread then admin/mod could move it if they think it belongs somewhere else.

Maybe the admins could create a section titled "Gina's Corner" where you can put all your threads in one place. Would be an interesting place :D:D

• Like 1

Goodness knows when it might be with the current dreadful weather forecast but I'm thinking the next thing I might image is the linking frame from IC405/410 to Simeis 147 with the camera rotated around 90 degrees and later in the night, with this orientation I can cover the Orion area from Flame to M42.

Here is a screenshot of CdC showing the area concerned and the rectangle representing the sensor FOV.  Part of IC405 plus the whole of IC410 is in the bottom corner and part of Simeis147 in the top corner close to the star Beta Taurus.

IC410+Simeis147_area.png

• 2 weeks later...

Clear sky tonight and everything set up and apparently working until it got dark then neither SharpCap nor APT would work!! :(  I had SharpCap running before it got dark and the rig aimed at the tree on far hill that I use to set up focus.  Remote focus working fine and no problem getting an image in SharpCap.  Then later when it was almost dark and SharpCap still imaging the tree and nearby road with traffic, I slewed to the Heart and Soul in Cassiopeia and thought I saw the Heart shape.

Then I tried to move the Heart into the frame better but in spite of moving the mount, the image didn't change.  Found SharpCap wasn't actually working so that was the image from a little earlier when I first slewed to the Heart Nebula.  Tried rebooting the laptop but then SharpCap just showed a black image whatever exposure I chose and the exposure didn't match what I had set :(  Restarting SharpCap made no difference.

Then I tried APT with nothing else running and it just stopped at the end of the exposure saying "busy".  I don't think this is either software - I think it's my laptop and this is the only laptop I have that has Windows on it.

In most respects the laptop runs fine - no problem with any other software - I've been using it to run a 3D printer with no problem whatsoever.  So why won't it run my astro stuff??!!  I've been waiting weeks for a clear night and now the software won't work!!

Depressed of Devon!

Edited by Gina

I have the laptop indoors now in case I could think of something to try to fix it but I haven't thought of anything.  But if it is temperature I could try running SharpCap on a spare camera and see if it works.  If it does I could take the warm laptop outdoors and connect the imaging rig and see if it works - I might get an hour or two of imaging - it's still clear.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the obsy laptop - Heart and Soul in SharpCap and focussing on a star with 400% zoom with my remote focussing system.  Good clarity and seeing tonight - stars only a couple of pixels wide.

Heart & Soul 02.pngFocus 01.png

Still working :)  I have a nice thick towel draped over the laptop to keep it warm :D  Now imaging the Orion area from M42 to M78 including the Flame Nebula and Horse's Head.  Taking 10s Ha subs with a gain of 440.  Here is a screenshot of PixInsight showing a single frame histogram stretched to bring out some of the fainter stuff at the expense of M42.  I'm hoping to capture several hundred subs to give a reasonable dynamic range.  Unfortunately Orion is due so disappear in the SW before the night is out.

Orion 01.png

• Like 1

Hi Gina,

I bought a Pet Bed Heater to keep my obsy laptop a bit warmer. Someone on here suggested it - unfortunately I can't remember who - but it does seem to do the trick. They are about 20 watts, so don't actually get very hot but they are waterproof, so OK-ish in the obsy. I would still be a bit careful though and only run via an ELCB supply.

Regards, Hugh

• Like 1

Good idea Hugh :)  My whole observatory runs off an ELCB supply.  My overnight imaging run seems successful :)  Currently downloading the data.  Having warmed up the laptop and then keeping it warm with a blanket (a nice thick bath towel actually) seems to have done the trick but not sure if it will be enough when it gets colder.  I want to replace the laptop though with a headless computer at the pier-head or mount.

Yesterday's flats were overexposed so re-doing them.  Here's a screenshot of APT.  Shows how little vignetting there is with 1.25" filters on the ASI1600MM-Cool.

Flat 01.png

Imaging tonight.  Firstly linking IC405/410 to Simeis 147 in Ha.  60s sub with gain of 600.  Simeis 147 can just be made out in the top LH corner in this screenshot of a well histogram stretched image in PixInsight.  I plan to change over to a 105mm f2.8 lens to give a slightly wider FOV than the current 135mm f2.5 lens for the next time we get a clear night sky.

Screenshot from 2016-12-28 19-49-05.png

• Like 1