SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sh2-119 in Ha

ChrisLX200

Clear night but with the inevitable bright Moon to deal with. However, as the nights are lengthening out I (just) managed 12 x 1800s subs on this object. I had no targets planned and just picked this one off StarryNight as being in a nice position, and then used SGPro for the framing. It's big and faint and tricky to judge the best framing and I think I missed centering it properly.

Some interesting dark nebs in the centre of this one, worth looking at the full res image: http://s970.photobucket.com/user/ChrisLX200/media/Astro - Images G4-16000/Sh2-119 Ha ST PI_zpsbcywepgk.jpg.html

Usual kit: NP127is, Moravian G4-16000, Chroma 3nM, 10-Micron GM2000HPS.

Sh2-119%20Ha%20ST%20PI_zpsbcywepgk.jpg

ChrisH

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Paul, Wim and Sara :)  Yes it is big with fainter bits all around and there's no definite edge to it. Olly posted a fine LRGB wide-field mosaic recently which included this object and shows it's position in relation to the North America Neb.

ChrisH

That's great, Chris. Really stunning. In the widefield HaRGB you mention that I did recently with Paul Kummer we were obliged to leave this object only mildly stretched in order to respect its faintness relative to the adjacent NAN. It struck us at the time that it would make a great target in its own right and it certainly does. There are many exquisite little structures in there. Given the data and a good stretch you've done it proud.

Olly

30 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Not when you only need 10-12 subs!:happy7:

Where is the 'only' when the 10 to 12 subs are thirty minutes each?? 5 to 6 hours in Ha is a serious catch on any 'known' object. If you are going to do a Fabian Neyer and pull out something never before seen then you might be looking at 20 hours but I think we are being given the best ever rendition of this target here. I haven't searched the net for rivals but don't feel any need to do so!

Olly

Just when you think everything is running smoothly and under control...  next time I must remember to actually un-park the mount and slew to the target BEFORE starting the 30min sub.. Sheesh, I blame Mark Cavendish because I was watching the cycling whlie starting the sequence :)

ChrisH

Thanks John, and also Rob :)   Collecting a few SII subs at the moment, OIII was a waste of time with this fat moon (that's after I actually pointed the scope at the target and started the mount tracking - although I did get a nice 30min star-trail image to start out with!)

ChrisH

Thanks Pieter, it's clear tonight here but too much Moon to continue. OIII is very weak indeed - just tried one 30min sub and there's hardly anything there. With no Moon around I will try for a few 60min subs (or maybe use 2x2 binning).

ChrisH

Thanks Paddy, working on getting SHO data but the OIII is going to be delayed until I get a clear night _without_ the Moon interfering. I got one OIII sub @ 30min so used that just to see how the colours will work out - there's signal around the bottom edge and in the centre but figure I need 60min subs on the OIII. That's not going to be a problem for the mount if I can get the clear sky.

Sh2-119%20HST%20PI_zpsy3ugtuss.jpg

ChrisH

Archived