Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

SOLD QHY8 OSC and QHY6 Mono CCD Cameras (price reduced - again!)

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By uhb1966
      Hello guys and girls, these are the first adventures of a new CCD user.
      I hope you'll have a bit to laugh
      i bought a used QHY8 from a fellow stargazer. It arrived yesterday. It was missing the documentation (but in the documentation was not part of the deal, so that's okay). After quite a while I got everything running (the Camara needs two power sources). As the weather was good for the first time in years, I immediately set up in my garden at 11 PM. First I was struck by a faulty USB cable - it took me about an hour and a half to isolate the problem as it was not constantly failing but intermittantly freezing the software and/or windows.
      But after that, i was able to shoot a few short moon sequences with APT. However, the result was less than optimal. I was getting pesky little black squares. I suspected something with debayering and asked APT's Ivo and the qhyccd forum for help.
      Ivo answered within about 30 mins, and after 2 or 3 messages everything was clear: the debayering settings in APT refer only to the display within APT, not to the saved images ! (I hear the more experienced SGLers ROFLing)
      After some updates and mouseclicks, i got nice little stacked images of the full moon.
      The next problem was the cooling: the unit cooled very well when connected straight to a power source, but with the QHY power converter in-between the cooling was mediocre (guessing from the outside temp of the casing). Also, the unit stubbornly said it was running at 25C, but the pictures were ok (yes, i know, moon pics dont have to worry about SNR, but still, they were ok, some test darks at 30 secs were also very ok).
      Well, to cut a long story short: the QHY8 does not have a temp sensor!!! Its supposed to cool straight away at max power. APT (and other software) is somehow getting wrong temp values.
      Finally, i used the QHY power converter for the sony chip and a second power supply for the cooling. The finding: the cooling via the QHY power converter was much weaker- even the fan went at a little lower rotation speed. Running through the second power supply, the unit cooled great. Possibly one of the cables was mistakenly sent instead of the original one- it looks suspiciously thin for a cable that is supposed to be transferring 36 watts at 12 volt.
      So, after several hours of silently swearing, everything works! Yay!!!

PS: the suspiciously thin 36 watts cable (the cross diameter of the plug is 2.5mm):

• By uhb1966
      Hello girls and guys,
      just out of curiosity i tried to get a grip on the noise of my new used QHY8. I'm sharing a 30 sec sub with a low gain setting that would somehow translate into ISO 100-400 with a Canon (roughly):
      The frame is completely pitch black, even with heavy stretching! With the only notable exception being 4 hot pixels (all of them green). I stretched it 3 times in Gimp with no visible noise.
      I guess as long as the Gain is kept so low, i even might ignore the darks completely (?). I will try my first DSO's ASAWA(as soon as weather allows), process them with and without darks, and will share the result here.
      Dark skies!

• By stevebb
      After seeing some absolutely incredible widefield and through telescope results from a good friend in Brazil using the QHY8L this is the logical upgrade I have been considering from a modded Canon 450D.
      Now I do know a few SGL members have the QHY8L and I have recently seen a QHY8 for sale.

Comparing the QHY8 against the QHY8L, the imaging capabilities "appear" similar, I appreciate the physical design is different. But aside from the latter, are there any other differences that would say put the QHY8L at a level above the 8 ?

Searching for images of the QHY8, they are few and far between and to be honest, I have not seen any that match ones I have already seen taken with the QHY8L. Now I know the skill in bringing out the image is arguably the most important aspect on the final result but I do need to be certain I am making the right decision regarding the capabilities of the camera ..... or "Bank of wife" will kill me, again 

Many thanks in advance,
      Kind regards,
      Steve
      By Guest
      I hope all of you were able to get out last night.
      I managed to capture 10x15min on the Rosette Nebula.
      Teleskop Service 65mm, QHY8, EQ6 Pro, AS120MC guiding through an Altair 60mm, processed in Pixinsight
      David

this compares the 1 hr of data I got on the 2nd to the 2.5 hours captured last night - big difference :-) 

• By Coco
      Last night was one of those rare evenings, it wasn't even suppose to be clear but it was!
      Only managed 1 hour of integration..
      20 x 180second subs
      50 flats
      50 bias
      Quattro 8s
      Will definitely have another go at processing this, only wish I had gone for 5 minute subs
      Thanks for clicking..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.