Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's All Sky Camera - Mk 5 - with ASI178MM, Peltier TEC Cooling & RPi

Gina

I've had a play with the Astroberry focuser again this morning and discovered something which may be useful.

If you enable the Parking Mode in the Astroberry Focuser Options tab in the Indi Control Panel then the focuser moves back to it's zero position when you disconnect from Ekos.

Screenshot from 2016-10-29 10-24-53.png

I realise this will de-focus the camera but at least it will move to a known position. Once it is reconnected and the auto-focus invoked it will be able to move back to the focus position without going negative. Hope that makes sense.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to enable Parking Mode but it didn't work :(  Anyway, I think Chris is right - this is overkill for the ASC.  It would be different if it worked as wanted, but it doesn't.  I want the focus left alone once set up unless it changes for some reason.  The only reason I can think of is possibly ambient temperature.  A control system that would maintain a fixed temperature within the ASC might be another possibility but that would probably be another "can of worms"!

Manual it is then.  I have already removed the stepper motor and unplugged the stepper driver module - they will come in useful for something else no doubt.  Now I have to work out the best mechanical focus control that can be used with the dome in place.  I have a few ideas...

Done :)  M5 bolt out through the bottom of the case.  Motor pinion drilled and tapped M5 and a tube printed and glued to the hole in the top of the case to take the bolt.   Here's a screenshot of the tube with shoulder to fit hole in case where the motor shaft went through.  Main part of tube inside case acts as top bearing for focus adjuster bolt, hole in case bottom as lower bearing.

Focus Tube 01.JPG

Here are some photos of the manual focus drive.  Please excuse poor focus on first photo.  I've drilled some holes in the top of the case to allow warm air from the electronics and the hot side of the Peltier TEC to rise into the dome to help dew prevention - may not need the dew heater if the RH isn't too high.

Manual Focus 01.jpgManual Focus 02.jpgManual Focus 03.jpgManual Focus 04.jpg

The manual focussing seems alright just looking out of the living room window at the far hills in the mist :D  Visibility is not sufficient to get a sharp image when zoomed right in.  Given decent visibility and seeing I think this will be adequate - using an Allen key longways on for coarse and sideways, with the long side providing extra leverage and precision, for fine focus.  The long side is about 100mm.

Here's the latest image from the ASC hooked on the guttering.  This follows manual focus on rather misty far trees this afternoon.  It's definitely better that I got fiddling with the remote focuser!  This is with cooling on but no dew heater.  30s exposure, auto gain, sensor temperature 7°C.  8 bit JPG image.

2016-10-29T2016.JPG

First image of GMT :D  10s exposure.  Looks to me like the focus is much better following a manual focus on a distant tree several miles away in the mist :D

One thing I see though is that the focus is poor round the edge.  This might be due to having the lens 5mm higher that the focal point of the dome hemisphere.  I'm a bit surprised it's this bad though.  I can try raising the dome by 5mm. 

OTOH I'm wondering if I can do away with the dome and use some optical film - the sort of stuff used by Baader with their solar filter film but without the filtering.  I have some Baader TurboFilm (clear) 1.27m x 0.51m from FLO.

Though there might have been a spot of misting up in the last image so I've switched the dew heater on and also reduced the gamma from 50 to 20 to increase the contrast.  Sensor temperature now 1°C and again 30s exposure.

2016-10-30T1915.JPG

Archived