SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGLXII - Which scopes are you bringing?

DRT

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

You really should come along. Paul certainly puts the 'camp' in camping with his lovely tent ;)

I can see it now...

Sounds like great fun. Even if the North Sea wasn't in the way and if I had learned to drive on the proper side of the road, I'd still feel the trepidation of never having been to a star party, astro camp or any such thing. I might not know what to do...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, iPeace said:

I can see it now...

Sounds like great fun. Even if the North Sea wasn't in the way and if I had learned to drive on the proper side of the road, I'd still feel the trepidation of never having been to a star party, astro camp or any such thing. I might not know what to do...

Have you ever stood around with a bunch of middle-aged men talking about whatever comes to mind, complaining about the weather and drinking beer? If so you know exactly what to do at a star party :wink:

1 hour ago, DRT said:

Have you ever stood around with a bunch of middle-aged men talking about whatever comes to mind, complaining about the weather and drinking beer? If so you know exactly what to do at a star party :wink:

That sounds manageable...

:happy9:

8 hours ago, DRT said:

What do the old grey haired men do, while the middle aged men stand around chatting ? (first timer I need the advice)

13 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

What do the old grey haired men do, while the middle aged men stand around chatting ? (first timer I need the advice)

They do the same - they just use wiser words than the youngsters :wink:

40 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Mmmmm Not sure about that. Some of us get that forgetful thing, what's it called Alz 

something.( see it's happened again) ( must write my pitch number on my coat when I get there on the Friday)

That's why I have the flowery tent. If my memory gets a little "senior" later in the evening. I can generally find my tent.

This works a lot better than finding a scope that I like the look of and hoping that the accompanying greenish tent is mine......

BTW. A nice new ES 20mm 100° eyepiece landed on Friday (thank you FLO). So my 16" should get the whole (just) Eastern Viel in one FOV with Max contrast..... Drop by and have a look. Don't be put off by the tent!!!

Paul

Keeping it simple, the HEQ5 and whatever 'scope isn't on the DDM60 at the time. Oh yes, and the inevitable imaging stuff, though I may go visual only which would be a major turn-up for me.

I'll be bringing my LX-90.  Hopefully this time there won't be any blown fuses to content with. (good job I had spares)

the main addition to my scope this time is the Caravan and awning, rather than the hired motor home.

16 hours ago, astronymonkey said:

Sounds like some good kit is being lines up and hopefully the weather will be kind too. Its a while since Ive been to a star party and although ive got the weekend free I might be at the Scottish premier event instead .... decisions decisions !

Cheers

That's an easy one.   Come to the star party, record the Scottish event and watch it later.  Or if it's not televised, miss it you know that if you go, the skies will be perfect and you'll have missed out on one of those rare perfect nights... on second thoughts go to the Scottish event and the rest of us will get that perfect night for sure.  haha

14 hours ago, cjdawson said:

That's an easy one.   Come to the star party, record the Scottish event and watch it later.  Or if it's not televised, miss it you know that if you go, the skies will be perfect and you'll have missed out on one of those rare perfect nights... on second thoughts go to the Scottish event and the rest of us will get that perfect night for sure.  haha

The "Scottish premier event" is the galloway star party which is why its such a difficult choice. Either way I plan on being under a dark sky somewhere. :)

13 hours ago, astronymonkey said:

The "Scottish premier event" is the galloway star party which is why its such a difficult choice. Either way I plan on being under a dark sky somewhere. :)

That does make for a difficult choice.   I supposed that one becomes a flip of the coin as to which is more likely to get a clear night.  Or dare I say, which star party has the better company! ;)

On 8/14/2016 at 20:48, Paul73 said:

Everything!!

16" OO for faint stuff

10" SW for big stuff

SW ED80 for wide fields and solar (white light)

PST for solar (Ha)

Lots of beer for the cloudy stuff.

Think that I have most things covered!

Paul

I contemplating the purchase of an ED80, so hopefully you won't mind me popping over, saying hello and having a little peek? :)

31 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I contemplating the purchase of an ED80, so hopefully you won't mind me popping over, saying hello and having a little peek? :)

No problem at all. Come over, bring your eyepieces (or use mine) and give it a proper test drive.

Paul

Well this is an easy one for me, since I only own one binocular and one telescope :) Will be good to look through other peoples telescopes, if they don't mind. And if people want, they can look through mine!

I'm particularly interested to look through an 100-120mm ED refractor, to see how it compares to my achro.

1 hour ago, Dave1 said:

Well this is an easy one for me, since I only own one binocular and one telescope :) Will be good to look through other peoples telescopes, if they don't mind. And if people want, they can look through mine!

I'm particularly interested to look through an 100-120mm ED refractor, to see how it compares to my achro.

I am sure there will be a few of those around, Dave, and you are more than welcome to take a peek through my SW ED120  :wink:

3 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Is there any chance FLO could bring one of each that's in the stock room. This would allow for lots of members to try before they buy. It would be advantageous to also bring one of those plastic sliddy things that you put a credit card in, just in case there's no internet connection. 

FLO are very much off duty at these events so that they can enjoy it as much as everyone else :wink:

Archived