Narrowband

Shocking News!

saac

Gina yes I do like that little meter, it's really reliable too. I have an old (1950 ish) AVO meter as well for a further bakelite  fix :)   I'm a big steam punk fan and my original intention was to finish of the observatory in that kind of style. I found a lot of supplies in the states for meters and switches but not so readily available here in the UK.  Maybe a project when I have more time on my hands. 

Jim 

In that case you might like my design for a new chandelier for my living room.  A very large (400mm OD) 3D printed gear with 5 globes containing dimmable LED bulbs.  Planning to print it in translucent PETG.  This is a top view of the model.  There will be a central tube from the ceiling fitting with a finial on the bottom which will take the wiring which will be placed in the grooves out to the lampholders.

1460648660_Screenshotfrom2018-10-0817-27-55.png.fb3c1a8833b53d14f0618959e978d1d6.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but is there any way of installing over voltage protection Between this psu and the mount?

i have one of these Maplin psus and so far it’s been rock solid, I was thinking of installing a permanent volt meter in line to monitor the output but thought, if there was to be a fault with it, a display telling me won’t stop it damaging the mounts circuit boards.

as a matter of interest, which power supplies do most people use other than battery packs?

Alex

A chunky (high current) Zener diode with a suitable series resistor across the output can set an upper limit to the supply line.

Something like a 50watt , or even better a 100w rated device is best. (or use a big transistor as a current bypass with the zener)

You want at least a 14v zener , so that no current will flow through it under normal use.

An inline slow blow fuse from the psu output is also a good idea with the zener so that if it does start shunting a lot of current (if the supply goes over voltage) then the fuse will pop before the zener gets too hot.

Image2.jpg