Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

good app that uses GPS for star maps

Skysafari 5 for Android has just come out. I decided to get the Plus version not the Pro as the Pro has more in numeric terms like 81 million stars whereas Plus has 2.1 million - something like that. Similar for DSO's and I cannot think why I would want 81 million stars, strongly suspect 2000 is enough.  Plus version was about £6:80. Think it is at half price for a month so it will go up in a few weeks.

Couple of small niggles, DSO's keep disappearing until I resize the display but not a consistant problem, but the GPS and everything is used and used correctly. Previously had downloaded the free ones and within 30 minutes I had uninstalled them. Skysafari looks good and I have no reason to uninstall it does what I want. One aspect is make sure your phone case does not have a magnetic clasp. That really throws the compass on the phone out.

As it is a paid for app check which one is the most suited to your needs  The least costly version has less features so make sure that the features you want or are likely to use or need  are in the one you decide on. No discount if you decide to go up to the next one. As said the difference in the Plus and Pro really amounts to numbers. One exception is a 3D galaxy view or something.

Mine is on an Android tablet, Marshmellow I think - whatever 6.0.1 is. The app does what it says and does what I expect.

One aspect is to be sure the phone has all the functions on it that the app needs to work, GPS, Compass, accelerometer or whatever is used for tilt so that the app can determine where it is pointed.

Archived