Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great evening meteor watch.

I am on holiday in North Cornwall and its been clouded most nights so far.

Well gaps in cloud and then a reasonable sky for a while allowed a sky watch with eyes and binos with my daughter. Very glad we did as saw lots of meteors some were most impressive. Roll on Thursday.

Also saw something I cannot see from my light polluted suburban garden, the milky way wispy and clear to naked eye.

For the first time in ages I was overwhelmed by the volume of visible stars, wonderful sight, made me feel quite emotional.

Very happy observer ?

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I am on holiday in North Cornwall and its been clouded most nights so far.

For the first time in ages I was overwhelmed by the volume of visible stars, wonderful sight, made me feel quite emotional.

That's a wonderful feeling.  Instant reminder of how small and insignificant we really are.

Hope you continue to have a great holiday

Jayne

Good to hear the Perseids are putting on a decent show so far, Was hoping to get out after my late shift (10.30pm) last night but as the evening wore on the clouds rolled in. Hopefully I'll get out sometime this week.

Great report. The best I've ever seen the Milky Way was summertime in Cornwall, staying at a converted farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. So many stars I was not used to seeing that it was hard to make out the constellations, and the first time I had seen the dark lanes.

Working down my post retirement bucket list; I have chased 'dark skies' in (examples);  Sri Lanka, Russia; New Zealand, Base Camp Everest (Tibet) and the Andes. All awesome locations when the weather is good, but just as frustrating as the UK when not. I spent a week in Northern Finland seeking the Northern Lights and saw only clouds.

But for the best experience ever you won't ever beat the skies of the Galapagos Islands, the ultimate nature and dark sky paradise. Surprisingly affordable too if travelling economy with one of the many student 'gap year' vacation operators. Must be prepared to rough it on a wooden boat, and share cooking and chores with folk a third one's age, but well worth it even if your liver suffers. Take binoculars as you will never steady a telescope on a motor boat even in the calmest waters.

Archived