Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC6888 (Crescent nebula)

swag72

Nice image--looking awfully familiar:happy9:.  I found myself struggling with the Crescent with 2 scopes--I now steer clear of it.  One day when I am more skilled perhaps.  I understand how you feel.  People see the image and they say "wow--how can you not be satisfied"  After 50 hours of acquisition and untold hours processing, one's expectations are very high.  The image is no doubt burned into your retina--a bit different than sitting down at a computer and switching on the screen for a look.  But in all fairness--its among the best--so you should feel.........well...normal I should think.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sara,

Aethetics of the actual object aside, this is the best Crescent Nebula I have seen anyone do.  For me, a big part of why AP is fun is beceause it enables us to see with greater clarity what's actually out there in the universe.  You have done that spectacularly with the oxygen shell around the fluffy inner hydrogen nebulosity.  I have never seen an image that shows it enveloping the inner nebula so clearly and three dimensionally.  Congratulations!

Jings, this is a tough crowd!  I find this image stunning, with superb detail.  The blue shell is especially impressive.  If pushed I'd go for V1 too - I'm not sure why it just has a more 'relaxed' feel to it.  I am also viewing on an iPad whilst on holiday, though.  

The last one for me. The green in the background of V1 defined a lurking artefact and implied a bi-colour image. Getting the dark background neutral means that I now believe the colour is coming from the object, not the colour balance. 

You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but you can't.... etc!!!

Olly

Cheers guys!! Well I've not fiddled with it .... (The crescent :D  :D ...) since V2, so that's about it I reckon... perhaps next year eh? I have really enjoyed the comments on this thread, they've been most helpful :)

Wow! That's the best I can recall seeing - simply wonderful! As had been said before, the detail is astounding and clearly reflects the time and dedication invested in this fantastic image. :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, swag72 said:

Cheers guys!! Well I've not fiddled with it .... (The crescent :D  :D ...) since V2, so that's about it I reckon... perhaps next year eh? I have really enjoyed the comments on this thread, they've been most helpful :)

Sara, us mere mortals look at what you have done with awe and amazement.  I'll have to defer to the likes of Olly on the question of whether your concerns should be laid at the feet of the creator, rather than imager, of the Crescent.

It's an incredibly detailed object of beauty that most of us can only dream of producing.  Your strive for perfection is what makes you so successful, but I'm not sure where colour perfection sits when we are using false-colour narrowband imaging! So sit back and admire this stunning result for what it is - or run the risk of being like the hifi enthusiast who listens to the distortion and not the music!

PS: I hope to be up and running with Colin at ICastronomy this month, but you don't need to worry about the competition from me!

Peter

that is an awesome image,  feels like i can almost touch it and i can't even see 3d stuff :).   congratulations for another superb achievement,  i always like to see your pictures and you're an inspiration for all of us beginning with AP. 

thank you  for sharing. 

Archived