Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Highly Cloured fireball August 7th Southern England

SteveBz

Did anyone see an Orange/Mauve fireball last night, maybe around 10.  I was so excited I forgot to look at my watch.  Sadly I wasn't filming in the right direction.

It must have been about NE to SE in Southern England.

No it was cloudy here, saw a nice one the night before.  It should be very good for meteors for the next week or so as the Perseids shower is particularly active this year. Moon aside, should be some fireworks !

andrew

Hi Steve

Yes I did - just included in my observing report.  Seemed to be a Perseid, left a smokey train, very orange, moving through Aquila towards the south east.  I estimated at least mag -2 - a bit brighter than Mars.

Time matches the one you saw, but I didn't get it precisely.

Best

Paul

That must have been a beautiful sight. Even in the suburbs of Milwaukee we often see some meteors; my father reports hearing a "pop" as one exploded. Did this one happen to explode or make any noise?

At 2.15 am on the 7th I was letting my old dog in the garden and thought I was seeing Perseids I was very excited so many fast moving objects .I too am in Southern England .Is this possible ?

23 minutes ago, Rosie2 said:

At 2.15 am on the 7th I was letting my old dog in the garden and thought I was seeing Perseids I was very excited so many fast moving objects .I too am in Southern England .Is this possible ?

That's certainly possible, Rosie. The Perseid shower is quite long-lived and is active on 7th, although it peaks on 12/13. You may indeed have seen a handful of Perseids; if it was more than the odd one that's a really good result for a relatively short period.  They're a lovely sight, aren't they?!

17 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Hi Steve

Yes I did - just included in my observing report.  Seemed to be a Perseid, left a smokey train, very orange, moving through Aquila towards the south east.  I estimated at least mag -2 - a bit brighter than Mars.

Time matches the one you saw, but I didn't get it precisely.

Best

Paul

Yes, you're right, I forgot about the smokey trail.  Like a speed-boat in water.

What observing report is this?  Are you a member of the BAA meteor group?

I went to a presentation by Nick Quinn a couple of months ago who talked about it.  They have all these security cams mounted on their garages, but pointing UP!

Regards

Steve.

3 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Yes, you're right, I forgot about the smokey trail.  Like a speed-boat in water.

What observing report is this?  Are you a member of the BAA meteor group?

I went to a presentation by Nick Quinn a couple of months ago who talked about it.  They have all these security cams mounted on their garages, but pointing UP!

Regards

Steve.

Just my general ramble about a night under the stars on Sunday evening: here.

Not a member of the BAA group yet, although I have medium term plans to erect a radio meteor detector and possibly a visual all-sky camera too.  "Speed boat in water" is spot on!

Paul

43 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Just my general ramble about a night under the stars on Sunday evening: here.

Not a member of the BAA group yet, although I have medium term plans to erect a radio meteor detector and possibly a visual all-sky camera too.  "Speed boat in water" is spot on!

Paul

Hi Paul.

Well I am not a member, but the setup costs are quite reasonable. From memory it was about  £40 for the camera, same again for mounting and 150 for the software.

Then they capture the trails from across the UK and upload to a central repoitory.  From there they extrapolate to get the whole trajectory across Europe and then again to determine the point of origin and the  projected orbit around the solar system. Totally mind blowing for a meteor the size of a grain of sand!

Good luck.

Steve.

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Hello Paul and Steve,

a few of us in the BAA and beyond are members of the NEMETODE network and we use video cameras for detecting meteors. Have a look at the website here: http://www.nemetode.org/

You'll find plenty of info about our results and about the equipment you need.

All the best,

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy - I did have a look at the Nemetode site the other day to learn a bit more, and it's definitely ignited something.  Paul

Archived