SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGLXII Chit Chat

cjdawson

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys I'm a light weight when it comes to camping in wet weather. Finally threw in the towel at 16:00 and left for the creature comforts back home. Hope the weather picks up for you all tomorrow and the coming days so that you hardy campers get to make the best of what Lucksall skies have to offer.

Home safe thank you SGL and Luckshall pity about the weather but met new friends and old bought a nice Tal 100rs off Jules thank you and sold my Celestron c4r to Stu thanks Stu. Its a shame never got to use the scopes on the night sky maybe next time. Must say big thank you to Nick, James and Shane putting up my tent don't worry I will have a inflatable one next time. Spent a good few hours talking to James and Nick both learning a great deal from Nick. 

Paul

Home now after my first SGL, hopefully not my last! Left about 10.30, got in 1 o/c and unpacked before lunch.

Great to be able to put faces (And voices) to names, hoping I didn't come over too angular and cantankerous.

Have to mention my huge thanks to Rowan46 (Another Dave!) who provided much needed help and advice during pitching, and lending me his long extension lead when mine wouldn't reach.

Was happy that all my sticky date cake went, hope people liked it.

Until next year....

2 hours ago, NickK said:

Bright patch.. almost sunny!... actually - SUN :D

\

La la la, not listening ?

Home now. I hoping that my 'sacrifice' will mean crystal clear skies for the hardcore who remain at Lucksall. At least a few hours of clear sky, you deserve that!!

Have fun, and enjoy the breakfasts ???

Back home after my first SGL. despite the weather I had a great time. Thank you to all members who were there, was great to meet and speak with you.

I am hoping to attend next year also :)

PS. Helen, I promise I am not stalking your posts......:hello: 

Well if it makes any of you happier, I have had the scopes set up the last two nights with a sky to die for only to have a mass of cloud move in as it went dark and as soon as I was nicely tucked up in bed it cleared off, annoying or what.

I see a cure, don't sleep:happy8:!

Alan

There's a solar scope in there somewhere!  At least the sun can start to dry the tents though :wink:

Definitely a morning after the weekend before feeling here.  Hope those who stayed got some clear skies and can do some solar today too.  And safe travelling for those heading home today :smile:

Helen

IMG_20161031_100143.jpg

Got back yesterday afternoon, but no chance to stop - had to pack everything away then cook Sunday dinner. That evening I passed out on the sofa and woke about midnight, popped my head out the back door.... and guess what? Totally clear!

Talk about rubbing it in......

Anyway, despite it being a bit damp the little man and I had a good time... and for his first camping trip - no major accidents (apart from when he fell over trying to chase some ducks!).

Well, despite the weather being somewhat pants (a few clear spells Sunday night before the mist rolled in), I had a great time.  My 2nd SGL camp but certainly not my last.  Special thanks to Sirius for my new fancy scope cover, it works a treat.  See you all next time,  hopefully in the spring at Sixpenny. 

Clear skies one and all

Ally

Pity about the weather but it is the UK so what do we expect.

Thanks for the talks on Sat afters.

Staedy drive home Mon afternoon withthe sun shining once we got onto the M50.

Helen is a little better now and says sorry she could not venture out.

Harry enjoyed his first offical star party and I am sure enjoyed all the fuss he had.

Hope it clears up for you mate. Had it not been for the thought of how I was going to dry everything out I'd have loved to stayed on more nights. Clear skies or not it is nice just to be among like minded people and to actually see kit in person rather than guessing dimensions, weight etc from a tiny picture on a PC monitor.

Just got back after another fun trip round the M25, got to unload everything now.

Thought you'd like to know that once over the hill there was no fog and it was so sunny I had to put my shades on :grin:

Had another great star party so thanks to all those who organised it all.

Clear sky here hope there's some there.

Dave 

Contrary to the experience of most, Dave and I managed a little better having arrived a day early.  Short sessions on the sun revealed a nice central group of spots in white light and a couple of large proms/filaments in Ha.

Later on I managed views between mobile clouds of :

double cluster

Crab

Orion nebula

Veil and witches broom

Neptune

Dumbbell

Ring

North America Nebula

Hyades

Pleiades

M31, 32 110

A few doubles

Not a complete washout thankfully,  at least for us greedy folk.

Great to see everyone - and apologies if I didn't get to say hello in person!

We sincerely hope you enjoyed the curry, quiz and hog roast and while the weather wasn't the best, it was fun to chat astro with a whole bunch of like-minded people!!

:)

We're already in planning for 13 and as soon as we have the date, we'll announce it!

Archived