SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGLXII Chit Chat

cjdawson

Arrived back home this afternoon after an uneventful journey. The weather over the weekend may have let us down but the company of fellow astronomers certainly didn't - Janie and I had had a great time and it was fun meeting up with old friends once again. Anyone who makes the mistake of thinking that a star party is all about observing or imaging the night sky has possibly missed the best bit!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all involved for a really enjoyable weekend. Really enjoyed the food, the company and the quiz. Lovely location as well. Shame about the clouds but we did get a little star action on Sunday night. Looking forward to the next one. 

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 09:31, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to my first SGL. It would have been nice if some of you older  hands had warned me about Lulu (lol). Still the aperitif before Sunday lunch was well,worth the visit. Thanks for a great weekend. 

Now what date have we got for 2017,?

Perhaps somebody should have given you a health warning about me Gary :wink2: but we had to celebrate your birthday appropriately, didn't we?

On a gloating note - hurrah for Scumbag College or our latest manifestation - Les Quizerables! I continue to be amazed at any team which can win an astronomy quiz two years running which has me as a member.

Thank you again all the organisers - we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves (again!).

ps Martin B is a legend in our house. Anyone who can cycle to Hay on Wye and back on the same weekend as a night of serious jollity outside our tent is a star!

1 hour ago, reddoss said:

There are about six of us still here tonjght keeping our fingers crossesd for the forecast of clear skies later on.

Tich and I had the honour of being the last customers in the cafe until next year. 

It's looking good up by me - hope you get similar (but far darker) skies, you deserve it for the patience 

Hi. Sorry to report for the chaps and ladies who have already departed. But sky's are clear dark and dry here tonight. Presently looking at constellations Orion , triangulum ,Taurus , Cassiopeia, Pegasus ,Aries, Ursa Major, Draco , to name a few. Unfortunately the weather at night over the weekend was the poorest it's been for in weeks in the area and I am sure a bit of a disappointment for viewing. But the sky's now seem to be getting back to great viewing potential. So hopefully those who have stayed on the few extra days will be getting a reward for their patients tonight of some great looking sky's. I hope the rest of the SGL group will be back next year and you enjoyed your trip to this neck of the woods. ☺

Packing up soon to make the trip home, it cleared last night so did a couple of easy doubles, Polaris and Alkor/Mizar, spent a bit of time with M45 also milkyway as it could be seen naked eye. It then clouded up so what with packing up I turned in, woke to a "bladder" alarm call to see Orion looking stunning but did not set up, freeing cold this morning

don't know where the official thank you thread is . So I will post my thanks here. Many thanks to Daz and helpers for the hard work  that goes into these events its been great to see old friends, meet new ones and appreciated the convenience of not having to set up my scope:icon_biggrin:.

I will add my thank you to all the SGL folk who make the star party happen, Daz, Grant, Steve, and all the others, please step forwards and take a bow!

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, perhaps more than any other, which is strange given the pants weather. I think the reason is perhaps that this time I didn't come laden with imaging gear, desperate to take the killer pic, to only end up frustrated by the inevitable lack of good conditions. I was there for a good old catch up with old friends and ready to meet new and interesting like-minded people. The meals and activities were spot on (though I'm still sure the sticky toffee pudding was actually treacle pudding, despite the kitchen staff's assurance it said toffee on the packet!). I did get a few hazy views through some scopes (thank you to the various owners!) and even took some images trying out a SW Star Adventurer bundle (thank you Will), so impressed was I by that piece of kit I have placed my order with FLO already.

So, thank you all for a great long weekend away and I really hope the Sixpenny Handley idea gets off the ground for next spring. See you all at the next one.

Clear skies!

39 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I will add my thank you to all the SGL folk who make the star party happen, Daz, Grant, Steve, and all the others, please step forwards and take a bow!

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, perhaps more than any other, which is strange given the pants weather. I think the reason is perhaps that this time I didn't come laden with imaging gear, desperate to take the killer pic, to only end up frustrated by the inevitable lack of good conditions. I was there for a good old catch up with old friends and ready to meet new and interesting like-minded people. The meals and activities were spot on (though I'm still sure the sticky toffee pudding was actually treacle pudding, despite the kitchen staff's assurance it said toffee on the packet!). I did get a few hazy views through some scopes (thank you to the various owners!) and even took some images trying out a SW Star Adventurer bundle (thank you Will), so impressed was I by that piece of kit I have placed my order with FLO already.

So, thank you all for a great long weekend away and I really hope the Sixpenny Handley idea gets off the ground for next spring. See you all at the next one.

Clear skies!

It was great to meet you Gav.  My wife thinks you're lovely ?

Really hope Sixpenny comes off cos I'll be there for sure. 

Ally

Home safe, most stuff put away, managed to break the zip on the Vango tent bag, so good reason to think about upgrade to an airbeam :grin:

We both enjoyed the star party, and this would be a great time to say a big thanks to all at FLO and everyone that had a part in putting this event in action, well done everyone

Still here going strong... Down to 4 of us left as far as I can tell.

Really clear at the moment, 7 degrees, 73% humidity so everything is dripping already!

Just scanned up and down the veil nebula with a lumicon oiii filter in the dob. Looks pretty dammed good!

Orion is up in a couple of hours and that looks stunning in a dark sky.

Pants weather for the most part, but glad I stayed for the week.

I really enjoyed my first SGL star party - I've only been to Kelling before. It was good to put faces to people from the forum. I just wish I could remember their names! The image processing talk was very good, I've been practising since I got home.

Perhaps next time someone could book a clear sky......

On 02/11/2016 at 20:08, Jonk said:

Still here going strong... Down to 4 of us left as far as I can tell.

Really clear at the moment, 7 degrees, 73% humidity so everything is dripping already!

Just scanned up and down the veil nebula with a lumicon oiii filter in the dob. Looks pretty dammed good!

Orion is up in a couple of hours and that looks stunning in a dark sky.

Pants weather for the most part, but glad I stayed for the week.

Loved getting a look at the veil with your 16" dob.  First time I saw it and was surprised at how easy it was to see without any effort.

This year I am claiming the prize of last man standing.   Left the site about 20 mins after Jonk.   And the weather looked set for a good night.

13 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Loved getting a look at the veil with your 16" dob.  First time I saw it and was surprised at how easy it was to see without any effort.

You're welcome, that'll be the Lumicon OIII filter doing it's thing! It is lovely to look at in dark skies for sure.

13 hours ago, cjdawson said:

This year I am claiming the prize of last man standing.   Left the site about 20 mins after Jonk.   And the weather looked set for a good night.

The weather on the way home was very poor, so much rain - and the M4 was closed! Luckily, it was closed at J13, which is where I came off :)

Archived