Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGLXII Chit Chat

cjdawson

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now listen guys, I know this is all in jest, but I'm coming to get away from pre-7am wake up calls - my kids do a good enough job of those at home. So can I please just stay in bed until at least 8? Especially as I'm hoping to be up until about 4 looking at stars ;):)

Seriously though, I can't wait :D

But also seriously, don't wake me before 8 ???

Very much weather dependant, the last couple have been pretty good weather wise so folk who have been up all night will still be snoring.

We did all have to get up early for the eclipse  but I don't think we're expecting one this year :grin:

Dave

5 hours ago, rockystar said:

now listen guys, I know this is all in jest, but I'm coming to get away from pre-7am wake up calls - my kids do a good enough job of those at home. So can I please just stay in bed until at least 8? Especially as I'm hoping to be up until about 4 looking at stars ;):)

Seriously though, I can't wait :D

But also seriously, don't wake me before 8 ???

All joking aside, I did state that I wasn't going to be playing in the morning.  Actually, when I decide to practice, there are a couple of things that I'll be doing.  Firstly, It's likely to be sometime between 3pm and 7pm (no later than 8am normally)   The is so as not to disturb those that stayed up until silly o'clock in the morning (I'll be amongst them if all goes well).

In addition, there is a piece of equipment called a "Silent Brass" what it does is bung up the end of the instrument and make it feel like playing into a pillow.  For those listening from a distance, it will also sound like I'm playing into a pillow - muffled and quiet.  I'd expect that you'd not hear it a in on the next pitch if I closed the doors and windows to the van whilst playing inside.    For me, however it will sound like a normal trumpet, thanks to the microphone inside the part than bungs up the end (technical name is a mute) which feeds into earplugs.   This is a piece of kit that was designed for professional players to use in hotel rooms so they could practice all day and night without disturbing people in the next room.

Well that's me in, this will be my very first Star Party, will be good to put faces to names, and to draw expertise from people far more knowledgeable than I. Can't wait! Hopefully it is clear sky's. 

• 3 weeks later...

Over the next week or so, Im going to be planning what should be included in this years processing workshop. Its quite likely that it will be just one (slightly extended) group this year, that will allow me to cover the subject(s) in better depth and not have to turn people away becuase the previous session had overrun by a fair bit :D

Also, I have my son with me - and I've got to keep half an eye on him at least (as daddy being busy for potentially 4+ hours is not an option).

Subject matter may include mosaics (building and processing), creating and applying false flats in Ps (still experimental), and maybe a few other tips for layer masks ie: selective NR, selective background darkening.

I'll post a proper thread once im ready to announce it.

On 8 September 2016 at 20:02, rockystar said:

I was wondering there would be any workshops running. I'm sure this one will be great, but as I'm not an imager it won't have much relevance to me. Will there be any others running?

Working on it. Any suggestions what you'd like to see?

21 minutes ago, RikM said:

Working on it. Any suggestions what you'd like to see?

hi rik, I posted in the "workshops" thread about a possible collimation workshop?

a while ago I thought a star hopping and planning workshop might be useful - getting better at this, but advice from more experienced observers is always appreciated.

Lee

We have tried colimation 'workshops' before but have found that it's a subject best explained one-to-one using your own telescope. There are quite a few people (including me) who will be happy to walk you through it :) 

I was out last night and my session got cut short by my eyepieces steaming up. As this was only a couple of hours and when I get down there I'm hoping there will be enough clear skies for much longer sessions, does any one have any tips for preventing this, or getting them to clear so that they can be used?

2 hours ago, rockystar said:

I was out last night and my session got cut short by my eyepieces steaming up. As this was only a couple of hours and when I get down there I'm hoping there will be enough clear skies for much longer sessions, does any one have any tips for preventing this, or getting them to clear so that they can be used?

Options are dewstraps https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention.html or a hairdryer to blast (gently!) the dew away

The campsite is next to the river so dew and sometimes fog can be an issue, so its a good idea to come prepared :smile:

Helen 

40 minutes ago, Helen said:

Options are dewstraps https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention.html or a hairdryer to blast (gently!) the dew away

The campsite is next to the river so dew and sometimes fog can be an issue, so its a good idea to come prepared :smile:

Helen 

Last time I saw a man with a hairdryer in his hand was on a Messdeck on a Naval Warship. Comments from his mess mates were unprintable. Not funny.

But good for a laugh all the same.

Archived