Saturn & Mars

Richard Hather

I didn't really plan on doing planetary observations but they looked so bright I couldn't resist and boy am I glad I did ☺️

First up was my personal favourite Saturn, as soon as I looked through the EP I knew this was the most detail I've seen yet.

I could easily make out the separate rings and even different shades on the planet it really was a treat so I popped my Barlow in and spent a good 20 mins taking in as much detail as I could.

I even shouted the wife out to take a look and she was blown away by what she could see ☺️

Next up Mars and I've got to be honest I've never been a fan of Mars but wow the colour I've never seen it so prominent and I swear I could make out the polar caps or at least slight discolouring.

I also had a few DSOs I wanted to sketch but unfortunately as soon as I was done with my unscheduled planetary observations the clouds rolled in ?

It was with a heavy heart I packed up and went bed but I still felt content with the session even though I didn't view a single object on my list and it was for the simple fact when I looked at Saturn and Mars it was like viewing them for the first time again, they literally took my breath away ☺️

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

3 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Well done Richard,

Sounds like you had a great time

I was pleasantly surprised seeing conditions were fantastic for that short time ?

I always have a quick peek at the planets on show at the start of every session but it's been a long while since I've spent any considerable time on them, the call of the DSOs is to strong  ?

Richard

23 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Good observation Richard, I am sure you saw the polar cap on Mars - I can detect it's whiteness in a 90mm Achromat

Thank you, I'm almost 100% sure that's what I saw but comparing it to other observations I can't say I've ever seen so much detail really was a surprise ☺️

Richard

Nice session Richard, it's always good to catch some steady seeing for a planetary session. I've been surprised at how much there is to see on Mars this year, despite it being so low.

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Really pleased you managed to see the planets on a good night. Its really amazing how they can vary from night to night. What scope did you use?

I used my Celestron Nexstar 6se, I didn't use any filters I didn't feel the need really ?

I used mainly my 25mm plossl in combo with my 2x Barlow for extra mag ☺️

I know I was really stunned at how crystal clear they looked against the background it was incredible ☺️

Richard

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice session Richard, it's always good to catch some steady seeing for a planetary session. I've been surprised at how much there is to see on Mars this year, despite it being so low.

Thank you stu, i thought that when observing them, I had my mini session in my backyard you see and it overlooks the main town centre of Bury.

But even with all that light pollution my telescope still managed to surprise me with exceptionally steady views ☺️

It probably does have an impact but hey I'm happy with what I'm seeing. that's what matters ?

Richard

56 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Nice one. I did notice it looking good, but the lure of bed was too much last night. And I wasn't too disappointed when I saw those clouds at about 11. 

Hey Lee, the weather said good all night but when is it 100% accurate ?

I was cut short at 11, I stayed out another 20mins then gave up.

I go away on Monday and considering the weather looks cloudy until then it would have been at least a week for a chance to get out.

So I felt I had to get out last night, it was worth the heartache of packing up early and getting no DSO observations done.

Richard

52 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

Thank you stu, i thought that when observing them, I had my mini session in my backyard you see and it overlooks the main town centre of Bury.

But even with all that light pollution my telescope still managed to surprise me with exceptionally steady views ☺️

It probably does have an impact but hey I'm happy with what I'm seeing. that's what matters ?

Richard

Light pollution has little or no impact on planetary observing. It's all about seeing conditions, scope cooling/collimation and avoiding things like central heating flumes. Patience and time at the eyepiece helps too.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Light pollution has little or no impact on planetary observing. It's all about seeing conditions, scope cooling/collimation and avoiding things like central heating flumes. Patience and time at the eyepiece helps too.

Wow I never knew that thank you stu, this is why I love this site ☺️

Everytime I start a topic I learn something new or even comment a old one ?

Richard

Archived