Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1 hour ago, YKSE said:

I've not used DGM OIII, the reviews I've read are not that positive for that saving (4€ cheaper than Astronomik?).

I've used TS OIII and Skywather OIII, TS OIII was clearly better Skywather's, the skywather OIII showed the Veil less good than TS UHC! If you really want to go budget solution, TS OIII is a better choice. Their 1.25" filter thread is better done than their 2" ones too.

Yes, 2 in TS filters appear to have a bit beefier thread...good to know that 1.25 is not that bad.

Astronomik has a pretty uniform price, 100 euro for 1.25, 200 for 2 in. I am at two minds whether to try those expensive thingies first in the smaller format. They just might entice me to spend more for the 2 in later. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hb-filter works to filter-out the poor people from the wealthy one's.

But seriously, it does work on quite a few subjects. Some say it's the only way to visually see the 'Horsehead-Nebula' - B33 - in Orion. But this does not by any means guarantee this elusive object will appear. David Knisely, of the Prairie Astronomy Club, has published quite a few articles on filters - as he's considered an expert (if anyone can own the title) by many people - and I'll link you to one that may be beneficial in this question:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

Enjoy -

Dave

Went for the Astronomic OIII filter. To be honest with work and the weather recently I've not had much oppertunity to use it much, but did get some relatively good views on M57 when I used it, but need more time to test it out fuller on more objects when the next good observing session comes up. With work again that may not happen really until mid November, but on the off chance that one weekend I get some clear dark skies at some point I will test it out further. :) 

Archived