Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Skipper Billy

'Easy' first Ha target?

We dont have real darkness this far north for another few weeks for LRGB imaging.

Over the summer I have acquired a set of Narrowband filters and I would like to have a play with Ha only imaging whilst waiting for real darkness.

Anyone suggest an 'easy' target for a first attempt with Ha? Plus any general suggestions - narrowband is new to me!

I have good views in all directions and I am imaging with an ED80 and Atik460 - my mount is good for at least 20 min. subs

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

pelican? or perhaps the veil?

• Like 1

Cygnus is packed with Ha targets and is high in the sky this time of year, North America, Pelican, Coccoon, Crescent nebula are in Cygnus and bright easy targets to get going on.

• Like 1

Welcome to narrowband Billy :)  I love it and I expect you will - hope so anyway :)

Thanks folks - lots to go at !!

If I decide to add in the SII and OIII any suggestions on exposure lengths for Ha and relative to each other??

The Elephants trunk is also a good candidate. I tend to use equal sub lengths for all the filters..... 30m. I am currently experimenting with 1x1bin in Ha and 2x2bin for OIII and SII.... I'll post up how it gone when I have meaningful data.

• Like 1

I've used 1x1 for Ha and 2x2 bin for OIII and SII with some success :)  It varies with the DSO but OIII can be similar or a bit dimmer than Ha.  SII is usually quite a lot dimmer than Ha so 2x2 binning helps get enough data that you might not otherwise get.  Between 3x and 4x the sensitivity with 2x2 binning compared with unbinned makes quite a difference.  You can use the Ha as Luminance and try various proportions.  Layers and masks come in particularly, in the processing.

I would have been glad to suggest some ideas but they have been well and truly suggested!  NB is a long business so go for things rising as night falls rather than things already on their way over the meridian.

Olly