SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon DC Coupler DR-E6 socket

cjdawson

Hi all.

I've got a Canon DC Coupler model DR-E6, which I want to use at my scope to power my camera instead of using a battery.  (I've heard that this means there will be less heat in the camera, not to mention that running from the internal battery on a cold night isn't the best thing to do for the overall battery life)

This device works great out of the box, when plugged into the mains, as I don't need the battery to power the camera.   However, to get this to work with my scope, I need to hook this up to an 8V supply.  (I've got the 8V part covered already)   The question that I have though is where can I find a suitable socket that I can use in to plug the DR-E6 into?    I really do not want to cut the DR-E6, instead I want to find a socket that is compatible with it.  looks like it's an eiaj-04 connector, or at least that's what my googling as lead me too.

Is this the right part?

http://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/1614-21/power-entry-rcpt-10a-20vdc-flange/dp/2523617?MER=bn_browse_3TP_Echo_1

EIAJ

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Tinker1947 said:

You could use a cheap battery with the batteries discarded and wire your supply in to it.....

36 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

Hi,

have you seen this on ABS, may be of some use

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=114160

Bill

I think you guys have missed my point.   I already have the DC Coupler.   As in the bit that plugs into the camera.

What I'm after is a socket that the DC coupler plugs into so that I can then wire that up to my 8V power supply.

Just use male and female RCA plug and socket, that's what I have on my home built powers supply, male RCA on the cable from your coupler, and a female on the power hub, I have four 12v outlets for auxiliary kit, and one 8v for a DSLR camera power....simples :)

Bill

2 hours ago, RuralBill said:

Just use male and female RCA plug and socket, that's what I have on my home built powers supply, male RCA on the cable from your coupler, and a female on the power hub, I have four 12v outlets for auxiliary kit, and one 8v for a DSLR camera power....simples :)

Bill

And how exactly do I connect the RCA connector onto the  existing  eiaj-04 plug on the Canon DC coupler?

21 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

And how exactly do I connect the RCA connector onto the  existing  eiaj-04 plug on the Canon DC coupler?

Can you post a picture of what you have, as I think we are getting confused....by what you are asking..

Bill

And after hitting the net some more, turns out that  eiaj has been upgraded to JEITA

searching for this and I think I've found what I'm looking for.

http://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/1614-05/socket-low-voltage-1-45mm/dp/1216987

Going to order one of these and see if it fits.  If it does, I can order another for another project that I'm going to make which will also benefit from being able to plug in the camera.

Here's a couple of photos of the plug that I'm trying to find a socket fo

First the side angle, nothing special there.

r.IMG_0096.JPG

This is where things a different from a normal DC plug.  I've put a couple of angle up to show that this plug has a pin in the middle of it.  Which is different from the normal DC adapters that I can easily pick up from Maplins.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

And to show the part that I'm looking for, here a picture of the end of the power adapter that shows the socket.  

IMG_0098.JPG

As you can see, this is quite different from the normal DC sockets, that have a pin in the middle.

Of course, the good news with this, is that once I've built it into my power distribution setup, there's no chance of accidentally plugging the camera into the scope's 12v socket. 

Hmmmm, yes I have a laptop with a similar connection, so I now see your dilemma, a picture tell a thousand words......

so obviously you can measure the outside diameter, but can you get a vernier on the inside to measure the pin, that should give you what you need to get the right socket, but I guess that's what you've done.... So good luck with the project

Bill

I've measured mine, and it's about 5mm od, about 1mm pin (by eye, I can't get the vernier in there!)

The female in the psu is about 1.2mm, so sounds about right.

I chime in, because I have the Canon AC-E6 / DR-E6 (not cheap copy) and was looking for the same panel mount plug.

• 1 month later...

just had an interesting thought.  Decided to take a look at the lumberg website.

http://www.lumberg.com/en/products/sortiment/circular-connectors#serie-016

The manufacturer part of the socket that i tried is 1614-05.   Now reading the website the key thing is that this is a JEITA RC-5320A JSBJ5

Looking above, this means the matching plug is a 1636 05.    However, I already know that this is slightly too big.    Here comes a piece of detective work.   The 1636 03 looks too small.  So I think the plug is a 1636 04.   This makes the plug a JSBP4.

Rather helpfully, the website has a counterparts section.  This shows two possible matches

http://www.lumberg.com/en/products/product/1613+10

http://www.lumberg.com/en/products/product/1613+09

Of course the farnell website is down at the moment, so I can't order one to see if it will fit.   (If it does, I'll be able to redesign the power box at my scope to be able to include one of these sockets, might be able to put other sockets onto pcb as well, which will mean I can make the box smaller)

Archived