Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. The nights are getting longer so, as well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:

* Several lunar occultations, including a (somewhat tricky) graze of HIP 38975 for observers in Eire and the north of England
    * Uranus and Neptune are now observable in the evening (as well as the morning)
    * Ceres and Vesta are difficult, but back!
    * A mini-review of the Levenhuk Sherman PRO 10x50 binocular

To grab your (free!) copy, or to subscribe, log on to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab

• Like 4

Just noted that the when I press on the current issue for your newsletter it comes up with the July 2016 edition. To see the actually current edition for August 2016 I need to go into newsletter archive! 

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve, I need to pull my finger out as I've not used my bins in a couple of months! 

Also just to second the above comment, you need to click on archive to see Augusts issue.

Much Appreciation for your efforts each month :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Just noted that the when I press on the current issue for your newsletter it comes up with the July 2016 edition.

Oops. Drat. Fixed. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve! I'm guilty of neglecting my binoculars a bit since getting my scope, but have been getting back into them recently. So easy to use and they open up a different set of targets. Looking forwards to seeing Eddie's Coaster - never heard of it until now! :-)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rorymultistorey
      Hi all,
      I've made a video about my experience looking through binoculars at deep space objects. I am NOT an observer. So I expect I got a few things wrong. Particularly the fact that it was impossible to film in complete darkness. I'd be really interested to hear whether I was way off the mark or not. And what other deep space objects are good to look at through a small pair of binos. Many thx in advance.

• By StarFiveSky
      Need a bit of help to narrow down what I see, I've wanted to buy a telescope a year ago but a couple of things stopped that decision.
      Saw a strong bright glowing star in the cloudless sky so I picked up my old binoculars laying around. I appended three images, one what my phone saw, secondly the raw image, thirdly a star map pointing towards the object (center-ish).
      I know it feels pretty laughable for s.o with an 8" GOTO + 5 yrs of experience, but maybe we can attempt to locate the object anyway ;)

IMG_20200312_191702.dng
    • By PESKYWAABBIT
      Every pair i've owned has come with this tiny thin strap which is super uncomfortable and I don't think brands put much thought into peoples necks when they throw a neck strap in the bundle last minute. Do you guys buy a camera neck strap to replace yours? If you do replace yours, do you have any recommendations for some based mainly on comfort? 

• By Xilman
      At long last I have managed to image Caliban, also known as Uranus XVI. It is a small (circa 72km) outer satellite of Uranus which was discovered in September 1997 using the Hale 5m telescope at Palomar. Incidentally, Sycorax (U-XVII)was discovered in the same observing session.  That satellite is around 1.7 magnitude brighter and so much easier to observe.
      Although a  three hours exposure, unfiltered for maximum sensitivity, was used the signal to noise ratio is barely 3 and serious image processing was needed to produce a relatively clear image. Even so, it is not especially obvious. The reason is that the MPOC ephemeris predicts that the satellite has a magnitude of 22.2 at the time of observation. More information is available at http://www.astropalma.com/Projects/Satellites/caliban.html

• By Lucas_M
      Hi all,
      This is my third Uranus capture this season. I am much happier with this result.
      The seeing helped a lot and the sky quality was favorable.
      This image is the result of 5 de-rotated videos on Winjupos, all captured with IR742 filter. The result was used as luminance in the composition. RGB came from a normal color capture.
      Following the images of other friends, we can notice the atmospheric activity on the planet. It seems to be changing every week. Many changes can still happen until the opposition.

Lucas Magalhaes

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.