sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

More work two dates recent Neptune

32 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Exellent capture. What exposure do you use for neptune?

Cheers I was using 61milli secs exposure. 16 fps. Neptune looks noisy as heck, thousands of frames are needed to build up the image.

I want to try a better filter than the W25 I am using, will be getting a Baarder  610 longpass soon. And ive seen a good Filter from Altair astro called the planet killer that's a very reasonable price, a IR 685nm to do some experimenting. Both will be useful for Uranus and lunar too.

Edited by neil phillips

Those Neptune images look very interesting especially the W25 image.  You need such good seeing for Uranus and Neptune but detail is possible these days if you persist.  Uranus is getting higher for Northern observers too.  When I started astronomy in 1986 Pluto, Uranus and Neptune where all in the same place - Sagittarius area, all but impossible then.

John.

Nice!  Very obvious bright spot in the first image.

I'm itching to have a go at Uranus and Neptune but I don't have a GOTO mount, have you ever tried to locate and image them without GOTO?

Craig

Yeah, I want to bag Uranus at some point this year too. :) 

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Uranus is pretty easy to find using a finderscope and star-hopping using stellarium. Neptune is hard to find.

39 minutes ago, johnh said:

Those Neptune images look very interesting especially the W25 image.  You need such good seeing for Uranus and Neptune but detail is possible these days if you persist.  Uranus is getting higher for Northern observers too.  When I started astronomy in 1986 Pluto, Uranus and Neptune where all in the same place - Sagittarius area, all but impossible then.

John.

I am hoping things improve soon John when I get the better filters that I mention I am also buying a Altair astro USB2 224 chipped camera. Should receive it this week. Its a great price. I want to do a IR shot and mix it into a colour shot on both Neptune and Uranus. The trick is getting enough colour into the image without the detail dying off too much I think. For a pleasing colour shot. But with detail. Uranus is going to be a better prospect for us in the UK as its quite a bit higher. I am glad I started on the harder Neptune first, As I think Uranus will be slightly easier. And I am expecting more detail banding wise anyway.

Cheers

36 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Nice!  Very obvious bright spot in the first image.

I'm itching to have a go at Uranus and Neptune but I don't have a GOTO mount, have you ever tried to locate and image them without GOTO?

Craig

Years ago I did try Uranus. I know Darryl does it manually. But personally goto is going to my preferred easy route. But you can do it without Craig