Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Pelican Nebula.

Adam J

Ok....ill start by admitting that I thought I was imaging the North American Nebula but missed and never noticed it was the Pelican until the processing.

4 x 10min, ISO 800 frames, no bias, no flats, no darks. Canon 1000D cooled to -4c at the camera sensor using my home made  DSLR cooler box, CLS clip in filter. 130P-DS with a MPCC MK3.

This was first light for my cooled camera and had some teething issues so only for 4 frames before it got light. I am am thinking its quite good considering but not much to reference that against. Also pleased by the noise reduction, not sure darks are required?

Would love any comments on how I could better process it etc, as I am still quite new to astro-photography and only really have CS2.

Pelican-Nebula-Processed-v5.jpg

1 minute ago, StargeezerTim said:

What a good miss!

Thanks Lol, it was a great night, really clear and i was sat messing about with the cool box. By the time I had the bugs ironed out I just grabbed what I could get :). Here is the full image. 

Pelican-Nebula-Processed-v3.jpg

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Ok....ill start by admitting that I thought I was imaging the North American Nebula but missed and never noticed it was the Pelican until the processing.

4 x 10min, ISO 800 frames, no bias, no lights, no darks. Canon 1000D cooled to -4c at the camera sensor using my home made  DSLR cooler box, CLS clip in filter. 130P-DS with a MPCC MK3.

This was first light for my cooled camera and had some teething issues so only for 4 frames before it got light. I am am thinking its quite good considering but not much to reference that against. Also pleased by the noise reduction, not sure darks are required?

Would love any comments on how I could better process it etc, as I am still quite new to astro-photography and only really have CS2.

Pelican-Nebula-Processed-v5.jpg

"No lights, no bias, no darks" 

dont you mean "no flats, no bias, no darks" as the subs used are lights...!! :)

Bill

6 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

"No lights, no bias, no darks" 

dont you mean "no flats, no bias, no darks" as the subs used are lights...!! :)

Bill

Oops...Yes that is what i meant lol, ill go back and edit it. :)  Although 4 x light frames is virtually nothing lol.

Great image!

In the full frame there is some green in the background that can be eliminated  with HLVG in PS or SCNR in PI.

Since red is the dominant colour, have you tried processing it as a single channel B/W image?

(I tried a quick & dirty approach on your jpeg, but the star reduction that I applied turned out to be a star "dimming". A little too "dirty" to show.)

30 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image!

In the full frame there is some green in the background that can be eliminated  with HLVG in PS or SCNR in PI.

Since red is the dominant colour, have you tried processing it as a single channel B/W image?

(I tried a quick & dirty approach on your jpeg, but the star reduction that I applied turned out to be a star "dimming". A little too "dirty" to show.)

I should be so lucky as to have PI lol. I'll pull the green channel down a little in photo shop.

46 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image!

Hows that? .....to be honest it may be a jpg compression thing that looks blue not and its not green or blue in the original tif image....

Pelican-Nebula-v3.1.jpg

I might get shot down in flames, but try taking a copy and using levels to set red and blue to black.

Now convert the green image to 16 bit greyscale and do a stretch on it. If it shows extra detail, blend it in as a LUM layer.

You may find a cyan coloured version (a mix of blue and green) shows the most detail.

Archived