Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

MikeODay

Bright Nebula NGC 6357 in Scorpius - colour balance adjusted

Bright Nebula NGC 6357 in Scorpius 

{ Post edited to include new image with adjusted colour balance ( blue level slightly increased in highlights and mid tones to improve colour balance of stars) }

new:

image.jpeg

original:

image.jpeg

( clidk on image to see larger )

NGC 6357 in Scorpius is a diffuse nebula discovered in 1837 by John Herschel and is around 400 light years wide and about 8,000 light years from Earth. 

I captured a few subs NGC 6357 over the weekend but the cloud kept coming over so I gave up and went back to my old data from 2 years ago.  This image is the result of applying my current workflow to the old data.  

Details:

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian.
Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount.
Orion 80mm f5 guide scope and auto guider - PHD2. .
Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector,
UHC-S 'nebula' filter.
Nikon D5300 (unmodified).
Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.
UHC-S - 100 x 100 sec ISO800
(14bit NEF, Long Exp. NR on).
Pixinsight and photoshop.

5 October 14
re-processed 31 July 2016

Links:

https://500px.com/mikeoday

http://photo.net/photos/MikeODay

Edited by mike005
Show new image alongside original. New image has been tweaked to improve colour balance in stars ( slightly increase blue levels )
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Very nice image Mike.

Mick.

Thanks Mick, much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Today I noticed that the colour balance of the stars was off.  The original post has been edited to add a new image alongside the original.. The change is a slight increase in the blue levels of the mid and highlight tones.

image.jpeg

Edited by mike005
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stevebb
      Celestron C8 XLT + extras and SkyWatcher Star Travel 80 (ST80)
      I have a Celestron C8 with XLT Starbrite coatings. Will include the full length base plate, both visual and imaging backs, scope rings, front 8" end cap and the finder scope with it. No box I'm afraid. Optics are good and clean, focal length is huge - 2300mm from memory. This lot would cost close to £1300 new and one with less spec went for £750 on fleabay recently. Might be interested in a part exchange or will let it go for £450 collection only.
      Also, I have a SkyWatcher Star Traveler 80 - good optics, used as a guide scope - just the scope itself (does not include the barlow in the photo) looking at around £50 for it.
      I have decided to save up for another Equinox or even an Esprit.
      Please excuse some of the colours - I used my astro modded 6D which was in the observatory so the "nice" purple is actually black !!
      Both these are collection only.

• By Clear Skies!
      I am going to buy Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Go-To mount. But, unfortunately, I am low on budget.
      So, does someone know where can I buy the cheapest EQ5 pro mount?
      Yesterday there was a low price for it (350 €), but they changed it.
      Thank you for your time!
    • By codeman
      IC4604 in LRGB Filters. Taking for Namibia during my visit in June 2019. This beautiful nebula is part of the rho Ophiuchi colorful cloud, i the center a 3 blue bright stars the reflect the blue light on the nebula.
      Photo Details:
      Lum - 20 x 5min = 100min
      RGB - 5x5min for each channel at BIN2, 75min
      Total Exposure: 175Min (~3 Hours)
      Telescope: ASA 12'' F3.6
      Mount: DDM 85 Unguided
      Camera: FLI 16200 Mono
      Filters: Astrodon
      Thanks for watching,
      Haim
      My Flicker Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/101543943@N04/

• By mikemabel
      My first image of M76 A bit rushed as clear nights are a rarity now
      30x120s Bin 2 Luminance ,SW 102 , ZWO 183MM Pro , OVL field flattener ,guided , processed in Gimp
      Took some Ha as well but poor results for some reason
      Seems an Oiii filter may have brought out some more detail

i know its not great but just chuffed to have imaged it

• By UKAstroBill
      The weather has been so bad I have had the time to finish a video on using astro filters with the Nikon Z bodies and Nikon camera lenses. There is a manual alternative to the FTZ allowing 1.25 inch filters to be fitted between camera and F-mount lenses, and for some lenses and end of lens solution make sense. FAstroTZ is described here:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.