Need help with Celestron Nestar 8SE setup

Hello!  New here, please go easy on me!

Bought a Celestron 8SE off Ebay recently.  I've assembled it, but whatever I try it will not turn on.  I make sure the power switch is in the | position, and have 8 brand new batteries fully charged inside it.  Nothing happens, display panel doesn't light up on the controller.

Am a little bit lost, any ideas what I could do?

My first suggestion would be to try an external 12V power source via the DC socket next to the power switch. There are cigarette lighter cables available or if you're handy with soldering etc, you can make your own up with a 2.1x5.5mm DC plug, centre positive.

The Nexstar's are notorious for not lasting long on internal batteries anyway, I removed my battery tray and use the space to house the level bubble.

Ah, right you are tried a 12v power adapter works fine!  Regarding batteries, that's a bummer.  Without the 12v adapter it just wont turn on.  I'm guessing that means that functionality is broken?

5 minutes ago, TommyGG said:

Ah, right you are tried a 12v power adapter works fine!  Regarding batteries, that's a bummer.  Without the 12v adapter it just wont turn on.  I'm guessing that means that functionality is broken?

It should turn on with just the AA batteries in place. It should move up/down/left/right. Just you wont get as much out of them as you will with it plugged into a 12v power pack. So not worth using AA's.

Perhaps the AA battery compartment has rusted out?. If thats the case........AA's will never work again.

Archived