Narrowband

Canon 40D lifespan

piprees

I have a Canon 40D and it's been working pretty well for a couple of years now but I'm wondering how long they last. What would I have to look for as far as deterioration goes. It seems like I have a lot more dead pixels now than I had when I first used it judging from the speckles on the darks that it produces. And what would be the causes of a modern dslr to start giving up the ghost. Hoping to be getting a ccd in the near future, but that's a different kettle of fish altogether!!!

This was taken by the 40D not so long ago, M51 after DSS & Startools 25x480+6+6@800.tiff

Phil

The lifespan of a DSLR is usually related to the number of shutter actuation's 100K is a rough maximum but there are lists available for specific models.

There is a method of remapping the sensor to remove hot pixels (not sure if it works with dead ones) which involves going into manual clean mode (this disconnects the sensor to prevent static damage) and then removing the battery, refitting the battery and powering up then remaps it.

Alan

Archived