Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

This is an open project "Ubuntu Astronomy" for amateurs.
Free Live DVD distributive designed for astronomy amateurs. This DVD contains different astronomical programs, for example: planetariums, image processing, astro-hardware control, INDI drivers, etc.

Based on Ubuntu 16.04.

You can download *.iso from its page https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-astronomy-16-04/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is there any more info on this as the sourceforge page just has a few screenshots.

There are a few hits when you search for this, but the link on the SF page just points back to itself :happy8:

I'd give them a few weeks to sort themselves out.

LIVE DVD “UBUNTU ASTRONOMY 16.04” 64-BIT
====================================================================================

The following distributive is designed for the astronomy amateurs that are familiar with OS Ubuntu (Linux) OS. It is free to download and utilize.
It includes different types of programms: planetariums, reception and edition of astronomical images, telescopes' and other equipment's control through the library and the INDI server.
In order to get familiar with the content in Live DVD mode, you only have to download the  *.iso image format and run it with a virtual machine. You can also create an installation DVD or USB flash drive.
    The Cartes du Ciel / Skychart enables an acess to the collection of the sky atlases. This software allows a big range of possibilities to study celestial objects: virtual observatory mode, SAMP protocole support, convertion of text catalogues for a graphical display with the help of the built in CatGen.
It also includes a HNSKY sky atlas which has a telescope control funcion through INDI server.
The Virtual Moon Atlas is designed for the Moon study and its planetary analogue is aimed for Mercury, Venus and Mars exploring.
   If you want to create a robotic observatory, you can use KStars, a program which  has a big set of necessary tools. Stellarium, Celestia, Digital Universe, BoPlanet, Where Is M13 are the planetariums and interactive night sky maps installed on the DVD.
   You can use Lin_guider and PHD2 for the autoguiding during astro-photo sessions. The INDI server and equipment drivers' control is operated through indistarter.
   wxAstroCapture, Audela and oaCapture are used for the Moon and plantes shooting, while CCDciel, GoQat, OpenSkyImager, Audela and KStars are used for taking photos of deep-sky objects.
The digital cameras' support is made through the libgphoto2 library. It is also used by Entangle, a cameras control program and one of the INDI drivers.
   The processing of astronomical images is made through AstroimageJ, Siril, THELI GUI, Lxnstack, ImPPG, GCX, C-Munipack, Stackistry, Regim, MicroObservatoryImage.
SAODS9, fv FITS Editor, APT, Aladin, nip2 are installed for the *.FITS analysis and editing.
Concerning the search and exploration of variable stars, there are two programes installed on the disc: C-Munipack and Vstar.
Observation Manager performs a role of an observations' planner.

"UBUNTU ASTRONOMY 16.04" 64-BIT disc is free for download, distribution and use.

====================================================================================

Project site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-astronomy-16-04/
Project Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/ubuntuastronomy/
News: https://twitter.com/UbuntuAstronomy

Oleh Malyi, Portugal

• Like 1

Very interesting :)  Thank you Oleh :)

Edited by Gina

Is Ubuntu Astronomy going to be the new name for Distro Astro?

2 minutes ago, Philip R said:

No, it is not.

It's another distributive.

I am working on creation of two new snapshots (32 bit and 64 bit) of "Ubuntu Astronomy".

P.S. If you want to install the current snapshot, you have to run this command in terminal:

sudo sh -c 'ubiquity gtk_ui'

ubuntu_astronomy_install.png

Edited by oleg_astro

Thanks to your listing of features I discovered AstroImageJ (Windows version) which is a wonderful collection of utilities running under ImageJ (a program I've used in the past for processing MRI data but I didn't know about the astro add on features).

ChrisH

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

I only mentioned it because I cannot download  :cussing:  the latest Distro Astro...  :crybaby2:

1 hour ago, oleg_astro said:

No, it is not.

It's another distributive.

...thank you for clarification.  :icon_salut:

BTW - welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

Excellent  Oleh I`ll try it on one of my laptops shortly. :happy11:

many thanks

Steve

HI Oleh

I keep getting installation crashes on a laptop that runs Kubuntu perfectly??. Tried three downloads of the iso and seems to install ok but as it finalises the installation it crashes and up pops the crash report window. I burnt the iso to dvd and let it choose the whole hard disk for the install on a 64 bit laptop. Runs fine in Live mode before any install?. I used this iso https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-astronomy-16-04/. Tried it with and without this line also - sudo sh -c 'ubiquity gtk_ui'

regards

Steve

Edited by Gasman

Sorry :(
Next snapshot will be without this bug.

You can add the line

username ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

to file /etc/sudoers

sudo gedit /etc/sudoers

save it and push on installation icon.

01.png

That did it Oleh thanks :hello2:. I chose the boot-repair option, all working fine now. Never knew there was so much Linux astro software out there!.

cheers

Steve

14 hours ago, oleg_astro said:

You can add the line

to file /etc/sudoers

sudo gedit /etc/sudoers

01.png

14 hours ago, oleg_astro said:

You can add the line

to file /etc/sudoers

sudo gedit /etc/sudoers

The problem I have is that when I try to sudo something, I'm asked for the password for the astronom user - which I don't know. Have I missed where it is documented?

I also get the installer crashed message. I'm trying to install onto a VM using Virtualbox 5.[something].

Ah I also couldn't work out why I seemed to have lost the root password, I tried to install the Indi drivers for my Atik ccd and Lodestar guider but it wouldn't let me use my installer password? I 'll try 12341234 later.

Steve

Edited by Gasman
  • Like 1

I use Atik cameras and Lodestar guider so I'll be interested in how you get on.

Hi again guys

Yes that password 12341234 did the trick, installed the drivers no problem but had to get the Atik one from a third party web site. 

Gina- looks like Oleh`s latest build has all the relevant drivers so should be good to go!

regards

Steve

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexwolf
      The second bugfix release for series 0.19.
      Thank you very much to community for bug reports, feature requests and contributions!
      Full list of changes between versions 0.19.1 and 0.19.2:
      - Added support DMS and DD formats for parallactic angle feature
      - Added altitude limitation filter for AstroCalc/Graphs[AltVsTime/ME] tools
      - Added visual improvements for AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added new time intervals for AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added computation of ephemeris for all naked-eye visible planets into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added GUI for select the color of ephemeris markers into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added 2 new scripts (Saturnian and uranian analemmas)
      - Added 'k Pup' designation to star HIP 37229 (GH: #706)
      - Added information about progress of loading on splash screen (GH: #719)
      - Added a new skylore for Stellarium: Anutan
      - Added support catalog "Southern Stars embedded in nebulosity" (Van den Bergh and Herbst, 1975 - VdBH)
      - Added support "Catalogue and distances of optically visible H II regions" (Dickel+, 1969 - DWB)
      - Added distances for few LDN objects
      - Added support removing shortcuts through config.ini file (GH: #724)
      - Added extraInfoString to StelObject: Allows extra info injected by plugins or scripts.
      - Added display of Apex/Antapex points (GH: #737)
      - Added "observers" for all planets with moons (GH: #736)
      - Added IAU constellation abbreviation to object info
      - Added 3 new actions
      - Added settings for Script Console (GH: #741)
      - Added Vanuatu (Netwar) skyculture (GH: #762)
      - Added few asterisms (GH: #753, #768)
      - Added new one time step into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #758)
      - Added few new DSO textures (GH: #756, #780)
      - Added support Vec3d into scripting engine
      - Added a Messier Marathon script (GH: #771)
      - Added support for short weekday display modes in bottom toolbar
      - Added GUI option to toggle permanent orbit drawing
      - Added hyperbolic comet C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) [2I/Borisov] into default ssystem_minor.ini file
      - Added a scripting function for refraction (GH: #778)
      - Fixed coloring text issue when formatting output is on
      - Fixed saving properties for external software/remote computer in Telescope Control plugin (GH: #702)
      - Fixed behaviour of selected ephemeris marker when sorting not for date (AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool)
      - Fixed sorting date and time columns for AstroCalc/Ephemeris and AstroCalc/Phenomena tools
      - Fixed crash on destruction of static QWidget (GH: #720)
      - Fixed small difference of values issue for different time zones for Date and Time column in AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #717)
      - Fixed stupid conversion bug in hmsToRad function (GH: #716)
      - Fixed an asymmetry w.r.t. to the ecliptic latitudes (Moon age)
      - Fixed Search Tool/Lists behaviour for VdBH catalog
      - Fixed distances for few DSO (GH: #708)
      - Fixed Gregorian date issue for AstroCalc (GH: #711)
      - Fixed support GPS on macOS (GH: #712)
      - Fixed coefficient for the duration of mean tropical year
      - Fixed issue for images in description for landscapes: set search directory (GH: #735)
      - Fixed tooltip behaviour for Date and Time dialog
      - Fixed star name to its source spelling (GH: #729)
      - Fixed compiling with GPSD 3.19 [API 8.0] (GH: #733)
      - Fixed encoding script files in Script Console (GH: #742)
      - Fixed drawing names of asterisms
      - Fixed aFOV display in Oculars plugin
      - Fixed visual issue in Script Console (white background) with Qt 5.13
      - Fixed links for scripting docs (SUG)
      - Fixed screen flashing during solar eclipse (GH: #747)
      - Fixed core.resetOutput(); method behaviour (GH: #750)
      - Fixed AltGr behaviour for some languages on Windows
      - Fixed clipping issue for LabelMgr.labelObject (GH: #776)
      - Fixed weekday computation
      - Fixed rendering planets orbits (GH: #773)
      - Fixed error in shape of asterism Red-Necked Emu (GH: #769)
      - Fixed proper removing of default secondary shortcut (GH: #764)
      - Fixed cross-id error in DSO catalog
      - Updated appdata.xml file
      - Updated outdated code for names of days and months
      - Updated Observability plugin
      - Updated list of proper names of stars (IAU approved list)
      - Updated Moon age calculation: let's use geocentric coordinates only for compute of the Moon age
      - Updated AstroCalc/PC tool: simplification and colorification for graphs
      - Updated AstroCalc/Phenomena tool: small speed-up
      - Updated the default color space: StelToneReproducer now use sRGB as target RGB color space (GH: #718)
      - Updated GUI for Satellites plugin
      - Updated common names for DSO
      - Updated common names for stars
      - Updated packaging for macOS: Let's use macdeployqt for creating a MacOS bundles
      - Updated nomenclature support: Let's use compressed nomenclature data to reduce an installation package
      - Updated translations
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated Sardinian skyculture
      - Updated file handling in Script Console
      - Updated HDPI features: enabled scaling fonts on High DPI monitors (GH: #546)
      - Updated default shortcuts: changed default shortcut for copying selected object information (Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+Shift+C) to allow use Ctrl+C shortcut for text edit fields for whole planetarium (GH: #748)
      - Updated getInfoMap method [scripting engine]: enhanced the getInfoMap method for the Sun (get eclipse data; GH: #747)
      - Updated Chinese (Simplified) and Russian translations for Windows installer (GH: #755, #779)
      - Updated Bookmarks tool
      - Updated default exoplanets and pulsars catalogs
      - Updated behaviour on Windows: disable HiDPI scaling in manifest (GH: #763)
      - Updated Oculars plugin: improve RA/Dec output for CCD frame
      - Code refactoring: type checking/casting clarifications
      - Removed FOV plugin (the feature was moved into core of planetarium)
      Homepage + links to downloading binary packages: https://stellarium.org
    • By dragorom7
      Hello, i am new to this forum, i made my account here because i need help.
      So few weeks ago i ordered a USB to Serial cable to be able to Control my Telescope with my computer using stellarium.
      It arrived today.
      So i made my Star Alignment, then i plugged the cable to my Telescope and Computer, i installed the Cable driver and ASCOM Platform + ASCOM Celestron Driver.
      I started DriverConnect.exe and put the Celestron Driver i downloaded, and did the properties informations ( had to tick on "Advanced Setup" and "Show All COM Ports" ) and i put "COM8" on "COM Port", then i pressed "OK" and then "Connect"
      Result:
      Create              Creating device
      Connected           Connecting to device
      Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected
         to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
         to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
         to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268
      Dispose             Disposing of device
      ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
      ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
      GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
      GC Collect          Completed garbage collection

"Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected"

In Stellarium i set-up everything, the plug-in and restarted the app, then added my telescope  and i says it's "connected" but i can't find my telescope.

Telescope:
      Celestron NexStar 127SLT
      The Cable i bought:
      https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-CP2102-Adapter-Control-Console/dp/B077G37VL1/
      PC Specs:
      Windows 10 Pro, GTX 970, 8GB Ram(DDR4), i7 6700 3.4Ghz

Looking forward for your help, thanks in advance,
      dragorom7.
    • By LILYDENISE
      Hello everyone, happy Tuesday.
      First time stargazer here, I'm hoping I can get some awesome feedback from you guys. 
      my fiancé and I are planning on taking a trip to Great Basin National Park from October 25th-30th, we're trying to catch the new moon, we want to do some deep sky viewing but we're having such a hard time on knowing which kind of telescope to purchase. we do have a few must- haves on our purchase, but I wanted to see what you guys recommend and what your experiences have been.
      we need a telescope that is portable
      good for deep sky viewing
      reflector vs. refractor
      and almost, but not necessarily, easy to use (we have time to learn the ins and outs of it)
      I apologize if its a lot, but trying to understand the jargon, as of now, is giving me a hard time
      Cant wait for any responses!!
      p.s. anyone ever been to Great Basin? what should we expect on our trip? its our first time going and first time doing any serious camping!!!
      THANKS A BUNCH!!!
      -LILY 
    • By Waynescave
      Hi guys
      Can anyone identify which control box this is? Is it focusmaster? And does it run off robofocus driver in Indi lib as I cannot get a successful connection (in indi within ekos) 
      I bought a robofocus motor with this control box second hand. 
      I have faith with seller that hardware works as should. 
      I've tried other cables and USB ports too. The software (k stars) I use does do port search when connecting equipment.. 

Any help appreciated 
      Wayne

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.