Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

This is an open project "Ubuntu Astronomy" for amateurs.
Free Live DVD distributive designed for astronomy amateurs. This DVD contains different astronomical programs, for example: planetariums, image processing, astro-hardware control, INDI drivers, etc.

Based on Ubuntu 16.04.

You can download *.iso from its page https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-astronomy-16-04/

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LIVE DVD “UBUNTU ASTRONOMY 16.04” 64-BIT
====================================================================================

The following distributive is designed for the astronomy amateurs that are familiar with OS Ubuntu (Linux) OS. It is free to download and utilize.
It includes different types of programms: planetariums, reception and edition of astronomical images, telescopes' and other equipment's control through the library and the INDI server.
In order to get familiar with the content in Live DVD mode, you only have to download the  *.iso image format and run it with a virtual machine. You can also create an installation DVD or USB flash drive.
    The Cartes du Ciel / Skychart enables an acess to the collection of the sky atlases. This software allows a big range of possibilities to study celestial objects: virtual observatory mode, SAMP protocole support, convertion of text catalogues for a graphical display with the help of the built in CatGen.
It also includes a HNSKY sky atlas which has a telescope control funcion through INDI server.
The Virtual Moon Atlas is designed for the Moon study and its planetary analogue is aimed for Mercury, Venus and Mars exploring.
   If you want to create a robotic observatory, you can use KStars, a program which  has a big set of necessary tools. Stellarium, Celestia, Digital Universe, BoPlanet, Where Is M13 are the planetariums and interactive night sky maps installed on the DVD.
   You can use Lin_guider and PHD2 for the autoguiding during astro-photo sessions. The INDI server and equipment drivers' control is operated through indistarter.
   wxAstroCapture, Audela and oaCapture are used for the Moon and plantes shooting, while CCDciel, GoQat, OpenSkyImager, Audela and KStars are used for taking photos of deep-sky objects.
The digital cameras' support is made through the libgphoto2 library. It is also used by Entangle, a cameras control program and one of the INDI drivers.
   The processing of astronomical images is made through AstroimageJ, Siril, THELI GUI, Lxnstack, ImPPG, GCX, C-Munipack, Stackistry, Regim, MicroObservatoryImage.
SAODS9, fv FITS Editor, APT, Aladin, nip2 are installed for the *.FITS analysis and editing.
Concerning the search and exploration of variable stars, there are two programes installed on the disc: C-Munipack and Vstar.
Observation Manager performs a role of an observations' planner.

"UBUNTU ASTRONOMY 16.04" 64-BIT disc is free for download, distribution and use.

====================================================================================

Project site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-astronomy-16-04/
Project Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/ubuntuastronomy/
News: https://twitter.com/UbuntuAstronomy

Oleh Malyi, Portugal

I am working on creation of two new snapshots (32 bit and 64 bit) of "Ubuntu Astronomy".

P.S. If you want to install the current snapshot, you have to run this command in terminal:

sudo sh -c 'ubiquity gtk_ui'

ubuntu_astronomy_install.png

Thanks to your listing of features I discovered AstroImageJ (Windows version) which is a wonderful collection of utilities running under ImageJ (a program I've used in the past for processing MRI data but I didn't know about the astro add on features).

ChrisH

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

Is Ubuntu Astronomy going to be the new name for Distro Astro?

I only mentioned it because I cannot download  :cussing:  the latest Distro Astro...  :crybaby2:

1 hour ago, oleg_astro said:

No, it is not.

It's another distributive.

...thank you for clarification.  :icon_salut:

BTW - welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

HI Oleh

I keep getting installation crashes on a laptop that runs Kubuntu perfectly??. Tried three downloads of the iso and seems to install ok but as it finalises the installation it crashes and up pops the crash report window. I burnt the iso to dvd and let it choose the whole hard disk for the install on a 64 bit laptop. Runs fine in Live mode before any install?. I used this iso https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-astronomy-16-04/. Tried it with and without this line also - sudo sh -c 'ubiquity gtk_ui'

regards

Steve

14 hours ago, oleg_astro said:

Sorry :(
Next snapshot will be without this bug.

You can add the line

username ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

to file /etc/sudoers

sudo gedit /etc/sudoers

save it and push on installation icon.

01.png

14 hours ago, oleg_astro said:

Sorry :(
Next snapshot will be without this bug.

You can add the line

username ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

to file /etc/sudoers

sudo gedit /etc/sudoers

save it and push on installation icon.

The problem I have is that when I try to sudo something, I'm asked for the password for the astronom user - which I don't know. Have I missed where it is documented?

I also get the installer crashed message. I'm trying to install onto a VM using Virtualbox 5.[something].

Ah I also couldn't work out why I seemed to have lost the root password, I tried to install the Indi drivers for my Atik ccd and Lodestar guider but it wouldn't let me use my installer password? I 'll try 12341234 later.

Steve

Hi again guys

Yes that password 12341234 did the trick, installed the drivers no problem but had to get the Atik one from a third party web site. 

Gina- looks like Oleh`s latest build has all the relevant drivers so should be good to go!

regards

Steve

Archived