Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Well, gone and notched up another cloud penalty by just ordering a new finderscope. In this case the Celstron StarPointer Pro. Only £27 from eBay, so not breaking the bank. Looked at a Telrad or a Rigel finderscope, but the Telrad has too big a footprint to fit on my current set up, and for some reason I didn't like the look of the Rigel, so went for this one instead. Projects two red circles on to the 40mm reticule, so will help to star hop too when judging the distance in degrees etc. To work in conjunction with my current 6x30 right angled finderscope on my ST120 frac, so looking forward to using it, when the cloud penalty for ordering extra Astro equipment is up of course! ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice big projection window.

Do they specify the apparent diameter of the 2 circles when projected against the sky ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

Nice big projection window.

Do they specify the apparent diameter of the 2 circles when projected against the sky ?

Hi John, I've  look on Celestron's web site and it doesn't mention any specific size for the circles, so I'll only find out when I use it I guess. Hopefully maybe half degree, or one degree apart perhaps when viewed through it. 

I use one of these. You will find the leg a bit bendy. I clamped a metal bracket around mine to solve that issue.

Peter

• Like 1

I had these down as 1.5 deg (ish) and 1/2 deg.. compared to my Rigel unit..  But that was just a visual check as I couldn't find anything online about them..

did a quick review too..

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I use one of these. You will find the leg a bit bendy. I clamped a metal bracket around mine to solve that issue.

Peter

Thanks. I'll see how it goes. I had to do the same thing to my Celestron binocular mount too to stop it flexing about too much when viewing through my 15x70 Bins when on my tripod. No big issue if I need to do this though. :) 

3 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I had these down as 1.5 deg (ish) and 1/2 deg.. compared to my Rigel unit..  But that was just a visual check as I couldn't find anything online about them..

did a quick review too..

Ta

Fozzie

Thanks Fozzie. Strangely I'd just finished reading it before you posted up here. :) 

28 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Peter

Just checked with the original red dot finder I got on my ST120, and the base holder for that looks exactly the same the synta base holder that comes as one of the base holder options with the StarPointer. It's not metal, but I can't detect any flexing with it at all, so if worst comes to worst I'll switch bases with this one if the Celestron one flexes too much. :) 

On 29/07/2016 at 13:57, Knighty2112 said:

Telrad has too big a footprint to fit on my current set up,

Many folk have shortened them lengthwise to good effect!
You still need to install AA batteries, unless you modify the power source.
If I ever needed/bought another (No3) it would get the chop!

Edited by Charic