SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

"Saturn looks fake!"

GavStar

Well that was my partners reaction when I called her out to have a quick look this evening.

I only had about 20 minutes before the clouds rolled in but despite this and Saturn being low, I got some very nice crisp views. And I don't think it looks fake at all...

It yet again showed me how well a good doublet refractor works as a grab and go - great views immediately.

Nice one Gavin, I've had it described as a cartoon before :)

I don't even think about cool down with the f7.4, I just observe. No reason why it should be different to the f9 in that respect (that I can think of?)

Several years ago, I viewed Saturn in my 250px through really still air at 4am ... the seeing was just incredible - best I have ever seen - and Saturn was higher in the sky back then.  I was struck by how the lack of any wobble in the image made it look "fake" - it was too crisp and rock steady!!

What I'd give to have those conditions again with my better EPs that I have now for pushing the magnification :) It was one of those memorable observing sessions that always stays with you.

In "The Herschel Chronicle" there is the account of showing the Princesses Saturn. Skies were unfavourable and an illuminated picture was put on a wall and admired through the speculum scope and met with great pleasure !

its a great show piece , especially for those who haven't seen it before,

Nick.

A view of Saturn with a decent 'frac has got to be one of the most amazing sights of the night sky for most people.

Inrteresting the story re Herschel Nick - I remember seeing some posted images where I wondered of someone had re-imaged one of the NASA showpiece images, as it appeared to show resolution impossibly beyond the capabilities of the quoted scope....

Chris

Many, many years ago I recall showing my mother Saturn through a scope for the first time and she asked me if I had stuck a picture on the front of the scope! More recently I showed it to a colleague with my LZOS 105 and he said it was like a hologram as it looked 3D just floating in the EP. Truly a remarkable object, we are all get lucky to have such a wonderful sight in the night sky.

Funnily enough I was observing with my new C6 on Friday. My Mrs is consistently underwhelmed by what I show her through the scope, but Saturn at about 187x mag got an audible gasp and a loud 'wow'. Her reaction was the highlight of the night for me! 

On 03/08/2016 at 13:51, Starlord19 said:

Funnily enough I was observing with my new C6 on Friday. My Mrs is consistently underwhelmed by what I show her through the scope, but Saturn at about 187x mag got an audible gasp and a loud 'wow'. Her reaction was the highlight of the night for me! 

it must be because of were your from

I had the same reaction from the wife on Friday night ☺️

I think her exact words were "that's incredible it doesn't look real".

Ive been observing for 6 months now and Friday night for that 1-2 hour period was the best conditions for observing planets I've seen.

The air was still there was no wobble of the image it was very crisp, Mars was also beautiful in its orangey colour and finally showed me the polar caps simply mesmerising ?

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

Archived