SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Angel Nebula - Mandel Wilson 2 - IFN Galore!

Hi All

Had a play with some wide field data around the polar spur and some lesser seen IFN objects.  Considering the is taken on a Rokinon 135mm @ F2 i was very pleased with the results (c20 hours of data).  Off course a longer focal length would be nice but then would require a mosaic.

Unlike a lot of Nebula the IFN is not illuminated by any local stars instead only the ambient light of the Milky Way provides enough luminance for us to resolve.   Hope you like.

ps10.png

Paddy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, xanthic said:

That wispy structure looks fantastic. Nicely done.

Thank you.

14 hours ago, laudropb said:

Very nice capture.

Thank you too.

10 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Seriously faint data made seriously visible. A fine acheivement.

Olly

Thanks Olly - one of those that has to be pushed - but then trying not to go too far becomes a challenge, hopefully i found the correct balance.

3 hours ago, swag72 said:

Looking very good Paddy :)

Thanks Sara

21 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

Love the faint stuff...nicely done!

Thanks Stuart.

21 hours ago, sulaco said:

Brilliant Stuff, really like it.

Thanks You

16 hours ago, toxic said:

this is a real beaut Paddy :thumbright:

Thanks

15 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

I like this image very much - such a lot going on yet based on a very dim object. Lovely!

Dim enough that when i first looked at subs wondered if i had actually got any data!  Lots of gentle coaxing to persuade ti to show,

15 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

A fascinating subject - not something I could capture from here and that's for sure...!

ChrisH

I have a test shot and it can be done but only worth attempting at darkest part of night - one of those to dial in for an hour each night and collect other targets around it when not quite so dark.

15 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

With corners like that at f2..... I'm seriously tempted to get one myself!

It is a little gem have used on its own (best star control i have processed on such a lens) and often with hybrid images applying longer FL detail to areas with the wide field.  So far all seems to be working just as i had hoped.

Paddy

That is one of the most beautiful images ive ever seen. Wow!!!. The colours, the wispy dust. 

Its perfect. 

Well done. I am seriously in awe of this image/object. I have to check it out with my scope. Which nebula filter would be best? UHC or OIII?.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

That is one of the most beautiful images ive ever seen. Wow!!!. The colours, the wispy dust. 

Its perfect. 

Well done. I am seriously in awe of this image/object. I have to check it out with my scope. Which nebula filter would be best? UHC or OIII?.

Thanks Paul - very kind.  You will need to get LRGB equiv so guess the UHC is way forward.  Worth noting this is 57 lum subs and 20+ each in RGB on a ccd.  So will need to figure that out on DLSR.  EIther way some a patience will be required :) 

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Excellent, excellent image. Many kudos to you Paddy.I am hoping to catch some IFN visually in the future-if its possible- any info on their location is much appreciated and keep the images coming!

Thanks Gerry,

There is a good site here - http://www.galaxyimages.com/UNP_IFNebula.html , http://www.galaxyimages.com/UNP1.html and a nice slide deck here http://www.aicccd.com/archive/aic2005/The_unexplored_nebula_project-smandel.pdf as you can see the polar spur extends from polaris out beyond M81/2 area (though visually the galaxies may negate the view of IFN).  The volcano section looks the strongest of the areas.  That said i would be surprised (pleasantly though) if you could capture it visually as it is so dim.  Let me know how you get on though would be interested to know if possible.

Paddy

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

IFN?

I dont understand this. Is it an imaging term?.

Integrated Flux Nebula - or to give it it's technical term 'dust and gas'!  Basically it is out there everywhere in varying densities.  Probably more to be found with patience and the desire.  Nebula's are more dense gas and dust areas typically more obvious through local stars, ionisation, reflection, emission through heat etc.  IFN is the ambient stuff just hanging around everywhere with no local 'event' to illuminate, ionise or excite.  It basically can only be seen through the ambient light of the general milky way.  Though areas closer to larger light sources are more likely to be found.  But there is even some around Vega but with contrast in luminosity between the star and IFN makes it very hard to find.

Paddy  

Sure is one terrific Image. What is the sky area we are seeing here Patrick?
That must be some lens you have,  Although the blurb I read said it had some fall off at f2  it doesn't reveal any problems in your image.
Superb indeed.  This Integrated Flux Nebulosity I've seen revealed in the  M81/M82 Images occasionally too. At least I think it was that pair.
Excuse me if I'm wrong. :icon_biggrin:

18 hours ago, barkis said:

Sure is one terrific Image. What is the sky area we are seeing here Patrick?
That must be some lens you have,  Although the blurb I read said it had some fall off at f2  it doesn't reveal any problems in your image.
Superb indeed.  This Integrated Flux Nebulosity I've seen revealed in the  M81/M82 Images occasionally too. At least I think it was that pair.
Excuse me if I'm wrong. :icon_biggrin:

Hi Ron

This might help (Polaris and M81 (as you correctly call out) referenced so should be enough for some relative bearings - courtesy of Steve Mandel's slide deck referenced above.)  As you can see vast swathes of IFN extending into areas I would not have thought to even searched.  

That said it is best imaged at the darkest parts of the night only when there is no moon, and hour or so either side (subject to time of year) of course its location means it is there all year round so if running automated software you can build up between other projects which is nice.  I might look at the Volcano area too and exclude M81/82 (going north relative to the image below) as that looks like a nice structure.

2016-07-31_20-49-59.jpg

I see no issues with the lens even on this target - sure it has some limitations mainly due to the wide field and this is mainly due to the variety of magnitudes you hit is one field.  But for me it has done all i could ask of it.  It can go deep and also nice to use as a background tool when adding in multiple DSO's at longer focal length.  Think I posted M42 to M78 not long ago here.  Used the lens for the main area then took FSQ detail into each DSO.  I never thought it would be perfect but it has exceeded my expectations.  In fact I will be buying another for another rig i am so happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback  - Paddy

21 hours ago, jetstream said:

Perfect Paddy! Thanks for the info, at least one sketcher has captured some IFN in the USA. I'm hoping the upcoming 200mm f3.8 OOUK newt will help me along. I definitely won't hold my breath though :grin:

Gerry - Your sketching challenge is above :) 

On a serious not the Volcano, Cow or tip of Fish Hook look like likely candidates.  Polaris nebula is the obvious one but may lack contrast which will be really required visually.

Paddy

On 04/08/2016 at 01:47, jetstream said:

Well Paddy there is hope! I tried the Vega area and found some shade edges- is there a chance you will be imaging this area for IFN?

For the next few months no plans to go after IFN - just got the RH 200 collimated finally last night (beware of fancy laser collimation devices is the lesson learnt, miles out - dropped in a cheshire and within 0.04" on first attempt!) so would be nice weather permitting to go after some summer targets.  When nights are a bit longer and darker will be having another look but not until late September when dark times are more prevalent. 

Keep me posted on your progress - i will pop you a mail when i start again and let you know of any candidates i spot.

Paddy

Archived