Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modded 350d - focusing with prime lenses + clip fliter

coatesg

Hi all,

I've just managed to get hold of a second hand 350d which has been modded, to use for some wide field work. I don't know whether the sensor was shimmed at all - so don't know whether it'll focus without an additional filter in place.

On the assumption it wasn't moved (and with no lens as yet to try it with!), does anyone know if the Astronomiks Clip filters provide enough compensation in the optical path to allow a prime lenses to come to focus? I was thinking about using a UV/IR or CLS there to help everything out, but would be handy if anyone can confirm....

Cheers!

Hi,

putting another filter in the path, will not make any difference to the focus issues caused by the mod, you will have to focus manually, but it will focus perfectly, with or without a filter fitted,  this is normal after the Astro mod, unless the sensor was shimmed when done, but probably not by the sound of it,  and beware if you put a clip filter in there for LP purposes, you can't then fit EF-S lenses, only EF ones.

hope that helps

Bill

Thanks Merlin - that was my understanding - I wanted to see if anyone knew if the clip type filters was enough to allow the EF lenses to get to focus again on a 350d without having a shimmed sensor. (Aware that I'll need to ignore the focusing through viewfinder, but I would anyhow ;-)

I may well just have to try and borrow a lens to see how it lies here, though my guess is that I'll need a UV/IR or CLS at very least (if only to kill the IR/UV out of focus).

Cheers

Archived