How to mount a .5 reducer on a generic 2M camera

SteveBz

Hi Guys,

I bought an amazingly cheap camera off ebay for about £20.

camera.jpg

The idea is that the central black barrel works as a .965" microscope cam (and it does) and the outer gold barrel works as a 1.25" planet cam and it does. 

The sensor chip is about 3.3 mm x 4.4 mm and I am using it with a 114 mm x 1000 mm fl (f/7.8) Newtonian (Celestron Powerseeker).  With a Baarder filter I can get photos and video of the sun, but it only covers a quarter of the Sun.

So I bought a generic .5 x reducer and screwed it into a Barlow barrel to hold the cam.  Couldn't get it into focus.  I wiggled it and screwed it and wiggled it some more, no focus.  I ditched the Barlow and selotaped it directly to the gold barrel, no focus.    I used a longer piece of cardboard tube as a spacer and screwed it in place of the gold barrel, guess what - no focus.

reducer.jpg

It's just a fancy webcam, but the gold barrel does not have a filter thread, so I can't directly screw the reducer into it. 

The reducer works perfectly with normal eyepieces, so I imagined if it had been a converted webcam with a thread, it would have worked.  I just can't see it somehow.

Any ideas?

Regards

Steve

Archived