Narrowband

Is this really the best I can achieve?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

IMHO the EQ3 mount gets an unfair press. If cash is short, just upgrade the TRIPOD - see my post earlier for pics taken with a 150PL on an EQ3-2

I can confirm that tripod flex in the EQ3 is its weakest link. After you flagged this up a while ago I tried rechecking my polar alignment after changing target (with a heavy 200mm lens fitted to my camera) and it was way off. Next time I image with it I'll try shortening the legs.

1 hour ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I can confirm that tripod flex in the EQ3 is its weakest link. After you flagged this up a while ago I tried rechecking my polar alignment after changing target (with a heavy 200mm lens fitted to my camera) and it was way off. Next time I image with it I'll try shortening the legs.

I have added my homebrew GOTO to the mount. Results are promising, but ability to track beyond 1 minute is hit and miss. As I have had a couple of sessions where 190-180 second tracking has pretty much worked I don't think this is all down to periodic error in the worm, I think it is caused by poor setup, I think I need to regrease and possibly allow a little more backlash in RA. The symptom is sometimes a tiny star to one side of the main image rather an elongated stars, to me this is likely to mean stickiness rather than periodic error which would only make stars elongated.

Archived