Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

valleyman

EP's for Solar viewing

Is it OK to use normal EP's on a Solar Telescope such as Lunt or Coronado or do you have to use the same brand EP's that the manufactures produce

Pat 

Just now, valleyman said:

Is it OK to use normal EP's on a Solar Telescope such as Lunt or Coronado or do you have to use the same brand EP's that the manufactures produce

Pat 

Quite ok to use normal eyepieces, I don't think the branded ones offer any advantage from what I've read.

Many people find that the simple eyepiece designs such as Orthos or plossls work well in solar scopes, you don't need expensive wide angle eyepieces to get lovely views.

• Like 2

Good quality plossls are ideal for solar. I find they work much better than more exotic wide field eps. 

• Like 2

I'd go with that.. my 50 degree eps are better than any wide field I've tried for white light! 

I tried several different eyepieces and settled on BST starguiders for offering me the best all round comfort and performance both for WL & Ha.

Kellners and plossls work the best (keep in mind that some may not reach focus or may not be comfortable to use). I tired h-alpha with Ethos and Delos and while I did like using the Delos, I still find the eyepieces with fewer elements to work fine. 

If you have a tilt-tune system where you have to tilt the reflections out of the fov, using an eyepiece with a smaller fov is beneficial since the most contrast is achieved with minimal tilt tuning.

Edited by Cometeer

I would go for a 9mm or 10mm Vixen SLV... not the cheapest option but they do give fantastic views :-) Certainly my choice when I had my Lunt 60mm

Edited by Pig

I had been using an 8-24mm zoom. The 8mm end of the EP is a tad soft on focus so i use an 8mm Vixen NPL.