Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

Well this was me earlier getting ready to have a go at Jupiter, then someone bought something and the clouds rolled in so it all got put away without even seeing Polaris..... come on then, who bought something 🤔😉

all ready.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 08/09/2021 at 21:56, M40 said:

Well this was me earlier getting ready to have a go at Jupiter, then someone bought something and the clouds rolled in so it all got put away without even seeing Polaris..... come on then, who bought something 🤔😉

all ready.jpg

Sorry 😞 

Set up very ready but not in action yet. Supposed to be clear but it is not, so I am waiting for the terrain to follow the map🥱. Double RASA8 rig with a Samyang 135 piggybacking and an Evostar 72ED as guide scope. all on a Mesu200. Three ASI2600MC waiting for photons, each one with its own laptop to be on the safe side.

20210912_223433_resized.jpg

• Like 11

On 08/09/2021 at 17:00, pete_81 said:

At last with the clear skies! Can't remember when we last had them!
Thought I'd send in my setup which allowed a comfortable 2hrs of lights and 1hr of darks, after learning polar alignment and plate solving with KStars/EKOS, so simple and so glad I've found out how to use it!
Rather pleased that I have virtually no excess cables anywhere, all short USBs to the RPi and then power to the RPi, camera and mount are the only cables dangling anywhere. About to also add buck converter for camera too so only one power socket controlling the lot, then this will transfer to dark-site with single battery (or at least that's the plan!)

20210907_201708.thumb.jpg.967503b69ceb9baeef4f05bd2a140582.jpg20210907_201722.thumb.jpg.d05a9210e59e5bf9be86428d7c9d4f91.jpg

Just to work out the best workflow of image processing! Hoping for more clear skies later this week for us all!

Nice set up :thumbsup:........But I must admit, I'm more interested in the Pizza 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gorann said:

Set up very ready but not in action yet. Supposed to be clear but it is not, so I am waiting for the terrain to follow the map🥱. Double RASA8 rig with a Samyang 135 piggybacking and an Evostar 72ED as guide scope. all on a Mesu200. Three ASI2600MC waiting for photons, each one with its own laptop to be on the safe side.

Good luck tonight - hope your efforts are rewarded. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gorann said:

3, no 4 laptops, beats my 2 plus a TV for the dome cam. 
Glad you currently follow my school of thought on cable management, “Let ‘em dangle!”😉

4 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

My evolution of some scopes working hard at night.

TS 86SDQ, Intes MN56 (a favourite), and TS Hypergraph 6.

IMG_20210811_220523.thumb.jpg.339cd31af15c5a6e9148d7d22bddb208.jpgIMG_20210401_214006.thumb.jpg.1b8e78397e3e3014fce7a7b229f7352e.jpg

IMG_20210826_004235.jpg

Nice !, Is that a GEM45 with Asiair  ?

If it is any advice on guide settings ?

if it isn’t, what aggressiveness settings in your guiding S/ware ? 

regards

Andy

1 minute ago, Newforestgimp said:

Nice !, Is that a GEM45 with Asiair  ?

If it is any advice on guide settings ?

if it isn’t, what aggressiveness settings in your guiding S/ware ? 

regards

Andy

GEM45G (without iguider). I don't use ASIair, sorry. For all 3 scopes guiding at 0.47-0.63"/px, my aggr setting are about 75 in RA and 90 in Dec (as far as I remember). But I use multistar guiding with 1-1.5 s integration so as to have lots of star HFR averaging. On some night, the aggrr can be reduced if a see lots of corrections up and down.

4 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

GEM45G (without iguider). I don't use ASIair, sorry. For all 3 scopes guiding at 0.47-0.63"/px, my aggr setting are about 75 in RA and 90 in Dec (as far as I remember). But I use multistar guiding with 1-1.5 s integration so as to have lots of star HFR averaging. On some night, the aggrr can be reduced if a see lots of corrections up and down.

Thank you so much 🙏🏼 , when you say 1-1.5s integration ? I’m not familiar with that term ?

2 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Thank you so much 🙏🏼 , when you say 1-1.5s integration ? I’m not familiar with that term ?

I mean the duration of the guidecam images. normally for single star guiding I use 2s or 3 s to avoid effects due to seeing, but multistar guiding needs shorter image times because of the averaging.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

I mean the duration of the guidecam images. normally for single star guiding I use 2s or 3 s to avoid effects due to seeing, but multistar guiding needs shorter image times because of the averaging.

Interesting thanks, I left mine at 3 secs (I think) when I moved to multi-star so will give a shorter exposure a try....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

Ah right, I guessed that’s what it might be, I’ve just made the switch from skywatcher to Ioptron so it’s a bit of a learning curve.

thanks for the suggestions.

6 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Ah right, I guessed that’s what it might be, I’ve just made the switch from skywatcher to Ioptron so it’s a bit of a learning curve.

thanks for the suggestions.

I find the ioptron quite good, especially since the guidecam USB port is on the saddle, as it the 12 V 3A for the camera etc. Have no need yet for any powerbox. the icommander mount control inbuilt saves having to setup EQmod etc., all integrated which is just a little easier.

32 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

I find the ioptron quite good, especially since the guidecam USB port is on the saddle, as it the 12 V 3A for the camera etc. Have no need yet for any powerbox. the icommander mount control inbuilt saves having to setup EQmod etc., all integrated which is just a little easier.

Yes sadly I’ve fallen foul of one of its foibles, it doesn’t like talking to Asiair so I have to go via usb hub from Air to Mount very frustrating but hopeful that situation will change 👍

5 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

Yes sadly I’ve fallen foul of one of its foibles, it doesn’t like talking to Asiair so I have to go via usb hub from Air to Mount very frustrating but hopeful that situation will change 👍

Have you checked the baud rate value on the ASI if you get a problem connecting to the mount? that was common for some mounts, the default values of 9600 did not work in some cases.

30 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

Have you checked the baud rate value on the ASI if you get a problem connecting to the mount? that was common for some mounts, the default values of 9600 did not work in some cases.

I think I only tried the 115600 (something like that)

next time I set up I’ll try the others

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

84E2AFCD-C51A-4F64-9BF7-04BD7359B58E.thumb.jpeg.c8e204f31229234205e4524820bfb048.jpeg

waiting to catch Jupiter in a gap in clouds to test collimation and first light for my new  old Tal. Wasn’t quite prepared for the detail i could see from such a tiny mirror!  

Is that an Alkor Mark? I have one and they are amazing little things, very sharp optically. I love looking at doubles like Izar through mine. Did you have to tweak the collimation on it? Mine was out so I had to dig the putty out of the collimation screws and adjust it but it was very simple to do.

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is that an Alkor Mark? I have one and they are amazing little things, very sharp optically. I love looking at doubles like Izar through mine. Did you have to tweak the collimation on it? Mine was out so I had to dig the putty out of the collimation screws and adjust it but it was very simple to do.

Hi Stu, yes it is- I couldn’t resist- it’s my second 😁 I don’t remember the first being this good! Mind you i know a bit more about collimation now so i should dig the first one out of storage. I bought the first new from Telescope House way back- was my first ever scope :) 

This one is a late one- 1999, and it’s very different construction to the first- particularly the pier. But optically it seems remarkable! It was way out of collimation and likely still is a bit as I just eyeballed it- had to as none of my collimation tools fit the tiny focuser 😂 It didn’t have the seals on the screws and looks like it never had them. I guess i must have collimation close now from the sharp view and the rifle sights got Jupiter into the low power ep view ok 👍 

Mark

• Like 1