SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

55 minutes ago, CrashedOnEarth said:

I though that looked like the northern lights!!  So how does a single picture of you also capture an airplane in 13-14 different spots?  Wouldn't the airplane just be in one spot?  (yeah, I'm that new)

Just a long shutter time. Not too long, or the stars would have become stripes. Airplanes move fast. Just try it out for yourself and start with 10 sec shutter time. For the light, my hb used his headlight, which gave a better light than the camera's flash. I kept my eyes closed to not ruin my night vision.

2 hours ago, Linda said:

Just a long shutter time. Not too long, or the stars would have become stripes. Airplanes move fast. Just try it out for yourself and start with 10 sec shutter time. For the light, my hb used his headlight, which gave a better light than the camera's flash. I kept my eyes closed to not ruin my night vision.

Thanks....learning more everyday!!!

This seems to be my current set up. When the little chap gets unsettled and starts screaming in the night we go for a wander to give my better half some peace and I get chance for a crafty gander at the sky :happy7:  . For those that are interested the kit list is as follows, 10x50 Hawke nature watch bins, Jané trider "kit wagon", small well insulated child and of course can of cider just in case :coffee22:.

IMG_0340.JPG

• Like 13

There aren't that many impressive positions a scope can pause in in the dark. Weather permitting, I'll try to get a milkyway background once the moon is out of the way. Ill need to use a better camera than this thing on my tablet though.

Mike ?

2016-11-12 23.12.49.jpg

2016-11-12 23.16.02.jpg

2016-11-12 23.12.06.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Darkness?  What's that?! Here's my 200p set up on my very light polluted city balcony.  Observing Uranus with bit of lunar on the side.

IMG_20161112_223427.jpg

Cripes a-mighty!

I doubt that I could stand there with my vertigo, let along observe!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Darkness?  What's that?! Here's my 200p set up on my very light polluted city balcony.  Observing Uranus with bit of lunar on the side.

IMG_20161112_223427.jpg

Wooooow, that really is light pollution on a grand scale. Lovely and high though and closer to the sky's. And great views of the city 

It makes my neck of the woods look like a positively registered Dark site location?

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20161125_013522.jpg

First light for my guiding solution, taken last night.

Changes since my previous entry in this thread:

- AZ EQ6 replaces EQ3 PRO

- added SW ST80 with ASI120MM for guiding

Guiding software: lin_guider on raspberry pi, under ubuntu mate

What should have been 15 x 15 minutes subframes, was cut in half by ice forming on the guidescope. The dew heater (held in place by the tape you can see in the image) is clearly not up to the job.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Here is my new-to-me Vixen 102mm f9 Fluorite in action tonight. It is mounted on a nice Vixen GP mount with dual axis drives which in turn is on an AZEQ5 tripod with pillar extension. Some nice views tonight, not the best as the seeing was quite wobbly, probably due to buildings giving off heat and central heating flutes.

Anyway, very chilly out there now, you can see the frost on the scope! Here it is....

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

• Like 9

4 nights of clear skies, 12 hours of data collected....and now for the closing "flat field" ceremony :-)

My observatory last night at midnight, end of a marathon stretch of good imaging weather!

David

20161130_230830.jpg

1 hour ago, David_L said:

4 nights of clear skies, 12 hours of data collected....and now for the closing "flat field" ceremony :-)

My observatory last night at midnight, end of a marathon stretch of good imaging weather!

David

20161130_230830.jpg

Nice looking set up, look forward to seeing the results :)

Can I ask, what is the second ZWO camera for (with the meteor lens is it?)

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Nice looking set up, look forward to seeing the results :)

Can I ask, what is the second ZWO camera for (with the meteor lens is it?)

The ZWO ASI120MC with the cctv lens is "WOBSCAM" it helps me keep an eye on sky conditions as I run the observatory remotely.

WOBSCAM.PNG

WOBSCAM1.PNG

44 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Here's my rig tracking Auriga with a 135mm lens.

Excellent shot - I also really liked your blog - I'm about to start using my StarAdventurer with a Canon 500d and found your section on preparation for this really really useful :-)

David

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Here is my new-to-me Vixen 102mm f9 Fluorite in action tonight. It is mounted on a nice Vixen GP mount with dual axis drives which in turn is on an AZEQ5 tripod with pillar extension. Some nice views tonight, not the best as the seeing was quite wobbly, probably due to buildings giving off heat and central heating flutes.

Anyway, very chilly out there now, you can see the frost on the scope! Here it is....

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

There's just something sexy about an elegant scope like that with a dew shield caked in ice! Gosh that's gorgeous ! ?

(May be I should stop thinking out loud so often!) 

Mike

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stu said:

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

That's just excellent.  :happy11:

• Like 1