Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Four panel Sadr mosaic part two - the other HaRGB image

Barry-Wilson

Like Steve, I have thoroughly enjoyed working collaboratively towards this joint mosaic project.  AP under most normal instances can be a lonely (& frustrating) pursuit and it has been very refreshing to chat over a shared goal.  This has been especially motivating as in the UK we have had little summer weather and clear skies to note since the end of May/early June.  So thank you to Steve for being a willing volunteer and the humour and encouragement when we both felt like we would never image again.  Good luck to him with his Mesu repairs.

In total we amassed 22.7 hours of data: 12 hours of RGB with the balance in Ha.  This was shared on the two rigs - Mesu 200, WO Star71, Atik 383L+, Baader filters; and 10 Micron GM1000HPS, Tak FSQ85 at F3.9, QSI683, 5nm Astrodon.  Sequence Generator Pro provided the sequencing and its Framing & Mosaic tool was an excellent tool to help agree the FOV and co-ordinates for each mosaic panel.  We simply shared the sequence file and applied the profile of our respective optical trains and we were off.  In hindsight we should have done this with the rig with the narrowest FOV (Steve's), but some tweaking of the mosaic overalps enabled us to capture all of the essential targets within the overall composition.  We tested this with minimal data in the early weeks.  Our plans adapted too as the weather made itself felt and the moonlight meant that OIII capture was ruled out early on and we switched to a HaRGB composition, liking the web images after some research.

I would hope that our positive experience with this experiment may encourage others too as I know there are many of us who have compatible image scales and FOV on SGL.  Whilst a collaboration is not something either Steve or I would choose do for every image, a large mosaic project in poor weather-prone territories lends itself to collaboration and I may well opt for this approach in the future for certain targets.  Being able to share ideas is fun and we have yet to look forward to reviewing our processing decisions and techniques . . . . more fun :happy7:.

BTW, I don't mean to embroil us in a PI vs PS thread here.  That would be quite futile (stands back and lights the blue touch paper) however it is interesting to note the common features of the resultant images.

Here goes, my image below in a lower res jpeg (7.7MB) and a link to the higher res (16.4MB) on Astrobin http://astrob.in/256430/0/ or my smumug site https://barrywilson.smugmug.com/Image-Galleries/Nebulae/i-rv3rWMx .

Ha_RGB_Final2_web.jpg

An interesting crop, roughly the size of one panel, showing some wonderful dark nebula and ribbon like structures:

Ha_RGB_Final2_crop.jpg

More than happy for questions etc.

CS to all!

Barry 

A nice write up Barry and a most pleasing result......... You must be very chuffed with how it has turned out. Well done to you and Steve for doing this and working so well together :) 

I look forward to seeing what your next collaboration is :)

A good idea to spread the load via a collaboration! Chances of one person (or rather, one setup) capturing enough subs for a project like this in the UK is... minimal :) .  You got the nebula to show through the dense starfield very well, personally I such dense star field distracting when I want to view nebulae so generally I push them into the background a little, but I rarely have the benefit of RGB stars anyway!

ChrisH

Thanks Sara & Chris.

There is a small amount of star reduction in both images.  I always hesitate with star reduction as it is so easy to leave ringing artefacts, and I do't think PI has the best reduction tool.  I understand what you mean about star fields being a distraction though Chris.

I like collaboration. I'm always more interested in the target than in saying, 'It's mine.' Anyway, it's in the nature of my business that I collaborate with guests, with myself and with new guests a year later, and so on and on. So long may collaboration thrive! I'm always pulling out old data and adding it, and the pictures get better. Isn't that the main thing?

As Barry said, this is not the place to beat each other up over PI and Ps but Barry's processing does not have the negative PI aspects that bug me. Oh, I just broke my own rule!! Ooops. :evil4:

Anyway this is a life affirming piece of work and my thumb is firmly up.

Olly

A very nice result indeed Barry/Steve a cracking image all round

Not for the faint hearted I would imagine doing a mosaic of this size,

But I would think that even on a single target ( single pane ) it also has its benefit's

for one thing you could probably get enough data in one night to maybe finish

a image which of late with the weather is a real bonus.

well done Guys

Paul

Archived