sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Good evening chaps (and chappettes), the clouds have rolled in so I thought i'd use my time wisely.  I'm currently running a 200PDS on a G11, Gemini 1L4, with C2A as my planetarium and PHD2 as it's awesome.  All is well, my alignment is great, and i manage good 5min subs from my dslr. 10mins works too if I bother to drift align (mod 1100d).

However, I have an issue.  I can't get my head around the meridian flip.  If I nip outside at an opportune time and ask C2A to do it for me, then it asks for all sorts of parameters that i don't know.  Do I just make them up?  I've upped the slew speed to 1500 in the losmandy driver, as i've put hi torque motors on my G11 and it's great. Still Gem1, L4, but since i use a PC i don't miss Gem2.  Do I put similar numbers into C2A, and if so, what is the centering and guide speed??

I've also bought SGP, but I am reticent to waste a valuable clear night playing with it, when I could be imaging...  I'm sure we've all been in this situation! Same reason I haven't put the 120ED with moonlite motor focuser on the mount yet.  Actually, that isn't true... That one isn't on there as the wife might see it and realise I've been shopping again! Please someone tell me SGP is worth learning.  Currently it looks alien to me....

But really... Do i have to bite the bullet and embrace SGP, and if so, can someone point me to a decent newbie tutorial? or am I missing something mega obvious in C2A...

thanks, as ever.

Jim

Yes you do need to embrace SGP. I use it all the time.

It is so simple to setup. And once you have a sequence set. You can walk away.

I am using the same mount and Gemini software as you. But I have never had to do a Meridian flip. I prefer to select a target that is either side of the meridian, and allow plenty of imaging time.

I can regularly shoot between 900 and 1200 second subs with my telescopes. I use Polar Align Correction to get my G11 bang on.

Here are some tutorials that will help you.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=vid&q=sequence+generator+pro+tutorial

http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/SequenceGeneratorPro.html?MonochromeCCDCameras.html

• Like 2

thanks Paul - I figured I'd have to hit it eventually - I'll have a read through the tutorials you've kindly provided, and dedicate a night to sorting it once and for all.  Amazing you get subs so long! I'll have a go at aligning properly, and see how I do.  I suspect my image length is more limited by lovely Birmingham to my North, and it's delightful airport...

Hi Jim,

My G11 is on a  pier, and is left outside undercover. What I do to accurately align the mount is to use  "Polar Axis Correction"  after I have done several alignments.

For 2 years I also used SGP with my G11/Gemini1_L4, it was a good combination and together with a 5" refractor I could get 20min subs easily - autoguided of course. With the rat's nest of cables I ran with back then I was always wary of doing an unattended meridian flip, so I would also go outside and manually flip the scope carefully guiding the cables so they didn't snag :) - then go back to the warm  room and carry on. That's not a recommendation for a good way to work! Since then I've changed mounts and also made sure the cable loom can never snag during a flip, so flips are done remotely now. Do you use an off-axis guider? I imagine flexure might be a problem using a Newt.

ChrisH

Hello

I have a G11 with Gemini 2 and i let it do a meridian flip all by itself using Prism V10, it is a sophisticated software with a lot of brains to manage everything automatically and handles errors brilliantly as well. Talking about SGP videos, Chris Woodhouse ( he lurks around here somewhere ) has made some excellent videos and i encourage to visit the page below, he explains in detail how to set it up and why.

http://www.digitalastrophotography.co.uk/Astrophotography/Videos.html

Clear skies

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Trusty_Pigeon
      Good evening,
      I've been looking at purchasing my first telescope for most of 2020 after spending numerous full moons upon the Ridgeway in Oxfordshire.
      With some significant lifestyle changes I'm finding myself finally able to fund my first purchase!
      The problem I'm facing is transportation, mainly. I either ride a motorbike or bicycle out into the woodlands with my DSLR for sunset shots but want to appreciate that great luminous rock that much more (main focus moon viewing and eventually moon photography).
      I've been eyeing up the Bresser Messier NT-130/1000 specifically, but wanted to get some sage advice first.
      I have a reasonable system for transporting my tripod and camera securely, but is there anything to be conscious of with a new scope?
      I've set myself a loose budget of £500~
      Would anyone recommend I look at alternate starting scopes, or would the 130/1000 be ideal?
      Thanks in advance,
      Pigeon
    • By Witcherking10
      Hello all,
      I always been fascinated by astronomy and finally purchased a celestron nexstar 8se. Setup went smoothly but I'm a little stuck on the lens. I attached the star diagonal to the telescope and focused in on an object. I was able to see a part of the leaf on the plant in my house and I attached a picture of that. Moving the telescope left and right allowed me to see other things. I then took out the 25mm lens and can see through that when not attached to the telescope. I can see my sandals and feet through the lens and attached a picture of that. I then inserted the 25mm lens into the star diagonal and that's where all hope gets lost. I see white (assuming that's my wall) and yes the cover on the telescope is also off. No matter where I move the telescope. All I see is white. I tried last night in clear skies and pointed towards some clear stars using the skyportal app to align but I didnt see anything except pitch black through the lens. I also played with the focus but nothing. Am I doing something wrong, I would think the 25mm wouldnt be so zoomed in that I cant see anything? Thanks for any help you can provide me. Looking forward to exploring!!

• By Steely Stan
      Hello all
      I just ordered my first telescope, a Nexstar 8 SE (very aggressive pricing on Amazon right now), and I can already tell I walked into the stargazers meth lab!  No sooner had I placed my order than I was on ebay looking for a second hand Baader zoom.  After an hour on this forum I will probably decide I need a EQ wedge, start thinking about whether to by a powerpack or make one from a car battery.  I'll be spending £200 on petrol driving to Scotland and back to find darker skies, and....well you know the drill.  To be fair, all this is with the endorsement of my missus (that makes her a "keeper") but I now know why expensive purchases are commonly referred to as 'astronomical'.
      Technically its not my first scope as my son had a tiny toy refractor which, with a lot of fiddling, gave OK views of the moon but was useless for anything dim.  Then during lockdown #1 I bought a pair of binoculars, mounted them on my camera tripod and pointed them at Jupiter and behold! - a yellow disc and four little moons in a row.  Then scoot left a bit to Saturn which revealed a little rugby ball - couldn't see the rings as such, but knew it was egg shaped for a reason....anyway, that was it - hooked.
      .....and as £or astro£otography, let's not mention that to the missus.  Yet.
      Stan    . .  o .     . 

• By GiL Young
      Hello, all ~
      If you'd please take a moment to read the info in my profile, I'd be grateful beyond words. In short,, I leaped into this new passion before fully researching all of it's necessary aspects. I'm determined to verify with my own eyes the deep cosmos and better understand the far past & distant future events. Thanks so much for indulging this newbie.
      ~ GiL Young
    • By JonnyT
      Hello everyone,
      I'm Jonny and I live in Farnborough in Hampshire, UK.
      My friend and I are taking our first baby-steps into night sky photography so I'm here for all the help I can get.
      We're just starting out so our equipment is very basic, but I'm sure the more we get into this the more we will upgrade over time.

Currently our set up consists of:
      Home-made Motorised Barn Door Tracker (my friend is an engineer)
      Canon 1100D with an 18-55mm Lens
      Laptop with BackyardEOS

We took everything out for it's first test-drive last week and the tracker works really well. Even on very long exposures the stars remain as points and not trails so we were really pleased with how it performed.
      I've attached what was probably our most successful picture of the evening. It' not amazing, but it's a start.
      I would really love to get some photos of the Milky Way and I'm hoping you all could suggest some settings to use, imaging techniques to try out and equipment upgrades? We're on a bit of a budget but we have photographer friends from whom we can beg and borrow equipment.
      Looking forward to chatting with you all in time.

Jonny

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.