Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help needed! Next scope input

Hi All - I currently have a Celestron Astromaster 130 MD HQ. Whilst I have thoroughly loved using it I am looking to go up a step.

My budget is around £700-£1400 tops! (secret project being kept from the wife). I was originally looking at the Nexstar 8SE...The more and more I read feels like the more I am confused about if this is the ideal scope to move on to. I have read that the 8SE is awesome but not too great with light pollution (I live in a pretty urban area) and also not the easiest to transport.

This made me think that perhaps the 6 SE would be a better next step, as its a bit smaller so can move around easy, it is cheaper! and deals with light pollution a bit better (from what I have read, I cannot verify).

I want the next scope predominantly for imaging the planets, moon & sun.

Questions

• 6se vs 8se  - pro's & cons
  • If I went for the 6SE - how much of a difference could I expect from what I have now (Celestron 130 astromaster).
  • Are their better alternatives within price bracket that would be more appropriate for Astrophotography that I have overlooked? 

All input greatly received!!

Cheers

The 8SE is a great 'scope, and a good all-rounder.  I'd go for 8 rather than 6 - the bigger aperture means higher mag for a given surface brightness.

Physically, it is very compact and manageable.  I've heard say you can carry the OTA on its tripod/mount, but I always take the tube off.  It is very easy to take on and off - just one knob to turn.  I also had an Astromaster 130EQ, and didn't take to it.  The 8SE's alt-az mount was (for me, anyway) much easier and more enjoyable to use, but is only motor-driven, of course.

To increase contrast in polluted skies, you can go for EPs in the range say 30 to 42mm, maybe also 24mm.

I am strictly visual only, so can't comment on applying this 'scope to AP.

Doug.

PS: Budget-wise, you might need to allow for a 2" diagonal and a couple of 2" EPs.

I have the 9.25 its easy to handle and quick to set up, tracking is good I am an OAP lol so am very happy with the whole set up to be honest the 8SE is a lovely choice all round you wont be disappointed I am sure

Eric 

Hello and welcome to SGL. I would certainly go with the larger aperture that you can afford. It saves the cost of updating later. I understand the Celestron EdgeHD 800 may be worth a look or a Celestron C 9.25 . Obviously you may have to look for a used version to include mount ect for in your budget. But for Astro photography then these are worth a serious look. I understand Mr D Peach uses the C14 and he knows a thing or two about taking some great Astro shots?  I hope this helps 

I have the Edge 800 and it's fantastic for planeary and lunar work. I've also heard very good things about the C9.25. More of these around second hand. Of course bigger scopes need a sturdy mount so don't forget to budget for that too. 

• 8 months later...
On 7/29/2016 at 19:54, Geordie mc said:

I have the Edge 800 and it's fantastic for planeary and lunar work. I've also heard very good things about the C9.25. More of these around second hand. Of course bigger scopes need a sturdy mount so don't forget to budget for that too. 

So to Bring us up to date - in the end, I went for the iOptron SkyTracker, a Cannon DSLR and Sky Master 25x70 Bino's to compliment my Astromaster 130 MD HQ. In addition I also spent out on PI - so still put in a fair amount of cash.

I did this because I was so new to astronomy/astrophotography that I didnt want to get bogged down in the detail and just wanted to enjoy being out and looking/learning the sky - And what a first season I had! :icon_biggrin:

I saw Andromeda for the first time, the Pleiades, Orion (OMG) I learnt constellations and found the planets - it seems crazy to me now when I look up at the night sky and see these objects that only a year ago meant nothing to me. I attach a few snaps I took.

Now, nearly a year in,  I have come to terms with the fact that I like Astro - a lot. I am just starting my journal to improve on my observing (love my binos) but I feel that now my kit is really holding me back. My cherished Astromaster just cannot do what I need.

So I am back in the hunt for a new scope with GOTO. I still like the 8SE as I am still very much a beginner, but I do like imagining (both planets and DSO's). The crux is I also enjoy observing just as much - When you read reviews/forums on all the options for a scope you just can never set on one. I need a scope that is an all rounder - good for obvs but can also take decent images. I think the 8se will be great for observing but just a bit wanting in the imaging dept.

I am now looking at the Advanced VX 8" Edge HD scope - it is advertised as "Advanced VX 8” EdgeHD: truly the ultimate entry-level astroimaging package." as you can drop the F number if you wish etc. It also seems to be realtively easy to move around. So far my Astro hasnt taken me further than my garden and will have a few trips away this year. This looks like to be the entry level all rounder that I am looking for and is just at the limit of my budget.

I would welcome any feedback! Especially from users of the Edge 8.

Cheers

Full moon.jpg

Moon and palm.jpg

Orion.jpg

I went from a synscan 127 upto the EdgeHD 8 on a AVX and was astonished by it, firstly was delivery of the thing. It came in boxes and the first thought was **** me how big?! The 2" tripod was intimidating from the weeny little thing my 127 mak was on. Also the the array of upgrades available for both the ota and the mount.

I've got more upgrades than I needed, but the most useful are Starsense, which is a godsend if your anything like me and terrible with remembering names and the like. Polemaster is also extremely useful as the polar scope is a nightmare to use as the altitude adjustment bolt is right where your face needs to be, even on full tripod extension it's awkward, time consuming and intensely frustrating.

Moving the mount is ok, I can shift it in one go however it is rather heavy so best to go 2 trips. I find having to remove the spreader plate a bit of a chore as it's an extra bit of paraphernalia to carry around and so I am in the process to making a new one in steel like the one on the new CGX mounts that allow the legs to fold up leaving the plate still on the center bolt.

I'd go for the ADM saddle replacement for the mount as it's far better for securing the telescope and you don't damage your lovely orange dovetail, and for the ota I can highly recommend Starlight instruments SCT microfocusser. As you notice the list can be expensive but it's as expensive as you want to make it, so I'll rank the upgrades in my preference.

Dew Shield and Heater

Baader Clicklock

Starsense

Polemaster

ADM Saddle

Microfocusser

0.7x Reducer

I note that you are looking for an 'all-rounder' scope - I would say that no such thing exists. There are scopes that are good for visual observing, and scopes suitable for DSO astrophography,  and scopes that you can use for planetary imaging, and mounts suitable for astrophotography, and mounts best used for visual observing. These pieces of kit have singularly little in common. Except that the visual scopes also work quite well for planetary imaging.

The EdgeHD is great for lunar and planetary imaging. For DSO work it's not so great, but the reducer would help with this. You can go for a Hyperstar upgrade but this is expensive and requires a CCD camera as focus cannot be achieved with a dslr. 

2 hours ago, Geordie mc said:

The EdgeHD is great for lunar and planetary imaging. For DSO work it's not so great, but the reducer would help with this. You can go for a Hyperstar upgrade but this is expensive and requires a CCD camera as focus cannot be achieved with a dslr. 

Why would focus not be achieved with a DSLR?  Special adapters for DSLR cameras are available for the HyperStar. The obstruction they cause may be a downer...
the problem is that focus is very, very critical due to the steep lightcone at f2. On top of that the flat imaging area is only 25 mm so an APS-c sensor is already over the edge... No problem if cropping, though. 

Attached a file about tuning and does and don'ts for HyperStar :  HyperStar Alignment and Use V3 9-25-15.pdf

On 25/04/2017 at 22:53, Handy_Andy said:

I went from a synscan 127 upto the EdgeHD 8 on a AVX and was astonished by it, firstly was delivery of the thing. It came in boxes and the first thought was **** me how big?! The 2" tripod was intimidating from the weeny little thing my 127 mak was on. Also the the array of upgrades available for both the ota and the mount.

I've got more upgrades than I needed, but the most useful are Starsense, which is a godsend if your anything like me and terrible with remembering names and the like. Polemaster is also extremely useful as the polar scope is a nightmare to use as the altitude adjustment bolt is right where your face needs to be, even on full tripod extension it's awkward, time consuming and intensely frustrating.

Moving the mount is ok, I can shift it in one go however it is rather heavy so best to go 2 trips. I find having to remove the spreader plate a bit of a chore as it's an extra bit of paraphernalia to carry around and so I am in the process to making a new one in steel like the one on the new CGX mounts that allow the legs to fold up leaving the plate still on the center bolt.

I'd go for the ADM saddle replacement for the mount as it's far better for securing the telescope and you don't damage your lovely orange dovetail, and for the ota I can highly recommend Starlight instruments SCT microfocusser. As you notice the list can be expensive but it's as expensive as you want to make it, so I'll rank the upgrades in my preference.

Dew Shield and Heater

Baader Clicklock

Starsense

Polemaster

ADM Saddle

Microfocusser

0.7x Reducer

Thanks so much for this!  ?

With the larger tubes, 9.25, 11 and 14 it's not an issue to get the correct back focus but with the 8 inch it isn't possible to get the correct back focus even with adapters according to the Starizona website. 

HyperStar Lens for 8" Celestron

Archived