Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Path from house to observatory - ideas please.

Gina

Bricks or stone should work well in holding down the fabric, good thinking.  An advantage of your plan for a wider path should mean less of a trip hazard I guess as you won't be so tempted to walk off the path itself. 

Here's my other diversion Gina,  a 1967 MGB.  She's one year older than me and in better condition! I guess a little bit like your tractor  the maintenance is fairly straightforward, greasing and annual oil change in the main.  What I have found is that if I run the car regularly it tends to be more reliable - no electronics, no ecu, abs, or power steering - just twin carburetors spring leaf suspension and lots of fun. These old machines are great and well worth preserving.

Jim

large.57a661414217c_MGB1967.jpg

• Like 3

My word, you've kept that well - looks beautiful :)  Those old cars really had style unlike the current models.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Thanks Gina :icon_biggrin:  I get a real kick of maintaining and driving it.  It's a bit like the astronomy -  challenges to be overcome, problems to be solved - I'm always happiest when I'm working on something.

Jim

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

Ordered a pair of M20x75mm bolts plus nuts to attach the bucket to the hydraulic arms - easier than looking for a rusty old iron bolt and nuts.  And if I can't get the current rusted up nuts off I may need a hacksaw.

The bolts arrived in the post this morning :)  Now I can manoeuvre tractor and bucket to line up, put the bolts in and screw the nuts on.  May be able to do some digging soon :)

Well, I got the bucket and tractor together on level concrete in the big shed but it's going to need two to get things lined up to get the bolts in so I've rung my neighbour and he's coming over tomorrow to help :)

Edited by Gina

On 06/08/2016 at 18:25, Gina said:

Yes indeed :)   And yes, this is a diesel tractor.

Here's a photo of the tractor and bucket.  One of the attachment bolts and nuts is in the bucket but the other must be somewhere else - I'll have to find it or buy a new one.

Tractor & Bucket 01.jpg

Couldn't resist - straight out of a Cognac vineyard and then after a few hours cleaning and lashings of linseed to preserve the patina. A '56 Major.

fordson1.jpg

imgp0348.jpg

• Like 2

My neighbour came this afternoon together with another farmer friend and his grandsons and they put the bucket on for me :)  I have now brought the tractor round to the front where the work is to be done.  I thought I could get the bucket under the turf to lift it but I think it will need more than that.  I have a Rotavator that I can dig up the turf and soil with that I used when I excavated the ground for the observatory.  Not been used for years so may need a bit of attention.

Edited by Gina

The Rotavator started and then stopped so it's promising.  I'll have a go another day.  I shall also need to move some stuff to get it out.

Edited by Gina

Moved a lot of stuff and got the Rotavator out.  Tried again to start it and succeeded.  After a short time it stopped again but I was able to get it started again and kept it going until I got it round to the front and the area I'm working on.  Tried engaging the cutters but it stopped again - may have not given it enough "welly"!  I'll check that the cutters are free later.  Should have checked before but I was too keen to get going :D

Checked that the Rotavator blades were clear to turn - no problem there.  Got it started again and engaged the blades at full throttle while lifting them clear of the ground then lowered gently into the grass but the machine is not up to digging the long turf as it is.  Two problems I think - too dry and hard, and may not like long grass.  Maybe I should cut the grass first.

I've never used one of those things Gina but I would imagine that as you say it may well not like long grass.  My petrol lawnmower often stalls if I try to go over grass of any length.  Be careful with it.

If the rotovator doesn't work you could try spraying the grass with weedkiller then laying the fabric direct on the top once it has died backed.  It would of course mean you'd have to use a raised edge each side to act as a border. Maybe not ideal but it may save a lot of work. 

Jim

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

Yes, I did think of that Jim.  Trouble it that the grass is already level with the concrete and if I had a step up I'd be bound to trip over it :(

Yes you want to avoid any trip hazard, I only have a few metres to walk to mine but its always with trepidation as my eyes adjust to the dark - I've walked into the washing line a few times too many!    Looks like the rotovator is the way ahead with the grass cut before.  How are you planning to level out the path once the rotovator churns it over - would the tractor bucket smooth it over?

Jim

Edited by saac

• 3 years later...

With the quagmire that is the area of ground that is between house and observatory, I'm thinking about this again though I won't be able to do anything until the weather improves.  I have more ideas than so far discussed such as a raised walkway to stay above flooding and mud.  I would still need to prevent the growth of weeds/grass/nettles beneath the walkway and also make it non-slip in spite of wet weather and frost/ice.

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

With the quagmire that is the area of ground that is between house and observatory, I'm thinking about this again though I won't be able to do anything until the weather improves.  I have more ideas than so far discussed such as a raised walkway to stay above flooding and mud.  I would still need to prevent the growth of weeds/grass/nettles beneath the walkway and also make it non-slip in spite of wet weather and frost/ice.

Could you 3 print a personal hovercraft and avoid touching the ground at all!!  ?

I have a similar quagmire/underwater for many days now area to my barn - you know what?    Yesterday morning I actually caught myself looking for fish in it!

Edited by JOC
  • Like 1

We bought something similar to these for our ram paddock https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gravel-Grid-Membrane-ECO-Driveway-Grids-Car-Park-Paving-EuroGravel-BLACK/223230170693?hash=item33f98e1645:m:mRgp4TXlmUDjjXSt2u84Nxg We didn't bother with a membrane or the infill stones - just dropped them into his mud last year - this year it's a made a good walkway for him.  However, a line of something similar properly dropped onto that membrane you've purchased and infilled with a suitable gravel might make a nice path for you.

• Thanks 1