Narrowband

Full moon, Crescent nebula

aparker

Better seeing last night; was able to capture 130x60 in Ha.  They looked pretty nice despite the full moon - love narrowband.  This is a quick stack/stretch of the best 93 of them in nebulosity.  I think I'm going to use these to try out Star Tools, which I've been reading about.

testCrescent.jpg

Shot with my C8 at 1330mm EFL, Ultrastar camera.

On 7/21/2016 at 07:41, aparker said:

Better seeing last night; was able to capture 130x60 in Ha.  They looked pretty nice despite the full moon - love narrowband.  This is a quick stack/stretch of the best 93 of them in nebulosity.  I think I'm going to use these to try out Star Tools, which I've been reading about.

testCrescent.jpg

Shot with my C8 at 1330mm EFL, Ultrastar camera.

How did you get such a noise free image?  Nice

17 hours ago, Rodd said:

How did you get such a noise free image?  Nice

Thanks Rodd.  I am not sure it's that noise-free...  If there's anything on my side here it is combining nearly 100 subexposures and not trying to stretch too hard.  It looks like I may have another good imaging night coming up in a couple days, so planning to add another couple hours to this Ha data set if possible.

Very good resolution of stars. Lovely split of the main one. Honestly I think your angled 'rainfall' banding is coming from subs which are simply too short to get over the read noise. Narrowband in 1 min subs is not something I'd try myself. It doesn't matter how many you have. You need to get nicely over the read noise. I would try for much longer ones.

Olly

Olly is correct in Nb there is a threshold that you need to cross - unless you do you will always have challenges.  That said it does not have to be 1800 seconds, longer is typically better but if 300 is across the threshold and the limits of your set up that should make a fine image still with enough subs.

For 60 seconds though that good data - and new bias frames too as Sara said or maybe Nebulosity has a column defect tool like PI?

Paddy

Archived