SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heritage 130 experiences

It's been a good while since I've posted here, but I'd like to get some opinions. 

I've decided to get a Heritage 130 to serve as a travel dob and as a rich-field scope that will also sit on my AZ4 mount. The only thing that is holding me back is the helical focuser. As this is the bit of the scope I'll interact with the most I'd hate to be so disappointed by it that I regret my purchase. 

I'd be interested to hear from people who own or have experience of this scope. I'm hoping you will put my mind at rest. 

130p + AZ4 is the same setup I use for grab and go and I'd recommend it. Pretty good optics at a low price, and the tube is very compact. The focuser is primitive - it's basically a screw, and the eyepiece turns with the focuser - but I have to say it works well. Takes a little getting used to but it's accurate and has no slop or backlash.

The 130p was my first scope. I've since added an 8 inch Dob, a 6 inch Mak and an ST80. For overall usability, the 130p may well be the best of the bunch.

Heritage 130p was my first scope and I still love it. The focuser is indeed primitive but if you accept it for what it is you'll get on fine.  You're obviously restricted to 1.25" EPs and the max weight the focuser assembly can support without flexing is about 250g.

Have a read of this...

http://neilenglish.net/a-newtonian-travel-scope/

Other than a wider fov it's not going to offer you much more than your Skymax. I mention this as your reference to using it on your AZ4. If your going to use it as a stand alone dob for a quick grab and go then you'd be hard pushed to beat it. It is worth noting thought that standalone in an empty field, it is a picnic blanket dob as it only stands a foot or two off the ground. This is obviously easily over come by using a folding table or something to put it on but then your starting to loose some of it's grab and go and you'd be better considering getting a regular 150P dob.

If the Heritage is the way you want to go check out https://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/clearance_skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube_51227.html

11 hours ago, spaceboy said:

Other than a wider fov it's not going to offer you much more than your Skymax.

The wider FOV is the chief reason I'm interested in this scope. I would like to get a bigger scope, 8-10", but at the moment the low price point and compactness of this scope fit my circumstances. I also have a wide feild itch that this scope will hopefully scratch. 

7 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The focuser is a bit of a pain to begin with but you soon get used to it. Apart from that,its a great scope.

I'd be interested in knowing what exactly about the focuser was a pain?

You can get 2.5 degrees with a 24mm 68 degree EP, but careful to choose check out the EP weights! 

The focuser can be a bit slack but as mentioned a wind of PTFE tape around the threads sorts that. Alsot he EP rotates when you focus, annoying when using Baader winged eyecups! 

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

It is not that the focuser can't take the weight I've had nearly 500 grams on mine with a camera but a heavy eyepiece might knock collimation out if the focuser sags.

Thanks. I do have a pair of 10x50 bins with 7.5 degree FOV but they obviously lack in resolution compared to a reasonably sized scope. 

Is the colimation put out by the whole 'flex' end of scope errr... flexing then? I'm cheered to hear you've had half a kilo of equipment on yours as this would mean I could pair it with a good, wide (1.25") EP. 

Think if. You overloaded it , you'd get flex and collimation would be out. I used a bit of plumber's tape on the helical focuser and kept to BST eps. I also made it a shroud from foam sheet. It's an excellent scope with a stunning mirror. Wish I hadn't moved on from it,

old Nick.

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

It's an excellent scope with a stunning mirror. Wish I hadn't moved on from it,

old Nick.

High praise indeed. 

I wouldn't use a heavy eyepiece as a choice. Although I find collimation holds well, and is easy to adjust I use a collimation cap, I think a heavy eyepiece would be pushing it for general use. I think there might be a member using a maxvision 24mm 68° eyepiece in theirs, see if you can find the post for their comment on that.

I was thinking the focuser is not actually weak, but it might sag depending on the weight which in turn might impact the view/colimation.

Edit

The trusses once locked in their groove I don't find they flex.

9 hours ago, mdstuart said:

The focuser holds my 68 deg max vision eyepiece just fine.

Mark

I'm now almost certain to get this scope and this EP. Seems like a perfect low power match. 

The 130p is my first (and only) scope, which I have had for about two years. For a novice like me it is just so easy to use (and quick to set up) that I use it a lot from my back garden. I put some PTFE tape on the focuser to make it a bit smoother and have invested in a couple of ES eyepieces (that fir and are not too heavy) that give stunning (in my very limited experience) views of the night sky. It is so easy and quick to use I have no intention of "upgrading" (yet! :))

Archived