Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adventures of a first time CCD user

Hello guys and girls, these are the first adventures of a new CCD user.

I hope you'll have a bit to laugh ;)

i bought a used QHY8 from a fellow stargazer. It arrived yesterday. It was missing the documentation (but in the documentation was not part of the deal, so that's okay). After quite a while I got everything running (the Camara needs two power sources). As the weather was good for the first time in years, I immediately set up in my garden at 11 PM. First I was struck by a faulty USB cable - it took me about an hour and a half to isolate the problem as it was not constantly failing but intermittantly freezing the software and/or windows.

But after that, i was able to shoot a few short moon sequences with APT. However, the result was less than optimal. I was getting pesky little black squares. I suspected something with debayering and asked APT's Ivo and the qhyccd forum for help.

Ivo answered within about 30 mins, and after 2 or 3 messages everything was clear: the debayering settings in APT refer only to the display within APT, not to the saved images ! (I hear the more experienced SGLers ROFLing)

After some updates and mouseclicks, i got nice little stacked images of the full moon.

The next problem was the cooling: the unit cooled very well when connected straight to a power source, but with the QHY power converter in-between the cooling was mediocre (guessing from the outside temp of the casing). Also, the unit stubbornly said it was running at 25C, but the pictures were ok (yes, i know, moon pics dont have to worry about SNR, but still, they were ok, some test darks at 30 secs were also very ok).

Well, to cut a long story short: the QHY8 does not have a temp sensor!!! Its supposed to cool straight away at max power. APT (and other software) is somehow getting wrong temp values.

Finally, i used the QHY power converter for the sony chip and a second power supply for the cooling. The finding: the cooling via the QHY power converter was much weaker- even the fan went at a little lower rotation speed. Running through the second power supply, the unit cooled great. Possibly one of the cables was mistakenly sent instead of the original one- it looks suspiciously thin for a cable that is supposed to be transferring 36 watts at 12 volt.

So, after several hours of silently swearing, everything works! Yay!!!

PS: the suspiciously thin 36 watts cable (the cross diameter of the plug is 2.5mm):

cable-36watts.jpg

PS the qhy8 is far too sensitive for the moon in single shot mode  :) although i had the gain set very low and 0.002 s exposure, i still had complete saturation in some parts of the subs! This might be easier in video mode. However i bought the camera for dso imaging. But after working through all the issues described i just went for an easy target to get things going and to ensure the device arrived in good shape :)

Nice that you got everything working, there is a bigger sense of achievement when there are a few obstacles to get past.

Odd about the power issues, perhaps the transformer isn't correctly rated for the job, was it getting hot?

Welcome to the dark side :D

Yeah, you will find CCDs a bit over-sensitive for the moon. You really need to dim down then light getting to it, either by stopping down or putting a filter or two in place. Having said that, I tried it the other night with an Ha filter on the shortest exposure possible and its still over-exposed.

CCDs can also be a bit picky on USB cables too, I get through one every couple of years (the cold weakens them). I tend to use ones that have a ferrite bead on too - that cuts out any interference that may come from power cables etc. Try to route the power and USB separately too, that reduces the chance of RF interference.

Good work. Always rewarding when perseverance pays off, and also that your new equipment actually works! You will have a lot of fun with that camera I am sure. USB cables are the source of a significant % of all imaging issues and much as they have made connectivity simple overall, for astronomy, they are a mixed blessing.

On 20 July 2016 at 19:38, uhb1966 said:

Hello guys and girls, these are the first adventures of a new CCD user.

I hope you'll have a bit to laugh ;)

i bought a used QHY8 from a fellow stargazer. It arrived yesterday. It was missing the documentation (but in the documentation was not part of the deal, so that's okay). After quite a while I got everything running (the Camara needs two power sources). As the weather was good for the first time in years, I immediately set up in my garden at 11 PM. First I was struck by a faulty USB cable - it took me about an hour and a half to isolate the problem as it was not constantly failing but intermittantly freezing the software and/or windows.

But after that, i was able to shoot a few short moon sequences with APT. However, the result was less than optimal. I was getting pesky little black squares. I suspected something with debayering and asked APT's Ivo and the qhyccd forum for help.

Ivo answered within about 30 mins, and after 2 or 3 messages everything was clear: the debayering settings in APT refer only to the display within APT, not to the saved images ! (I hear the more experienced SGLers ROFLing)

After some updates and mouseclicks, i got nice little stacked images of the full moon.

The next problem was the cooling: the unit cooled very well when connected straight to a power source, but with the QHY power converter in-between the cooling was mediocre (guessing from the outside temp of the casing). Also, the unit stubbornly said it was running at 25C, but the pictures were ok (yes, i know, moon pics dont have to worry about SNR, but still, they were ok, some test darks at 30 secs were also very ok).

Well, to cut a long story short: the QHY8 does not have a temp sensor!!! Its supposed to cool straight away at max power. APT (and other software) is somehow getting wrong temp values.

Finally, i used the QHY power converter for the sony chip and a second power supply for the cooling. The finding: the cooling via the QHY power converter was much weaker- even the fan went at a little lower rotation speed. Running through the second power supply, the unit cooled great. Possibly one of the cables was mistakenly sent instead of the original one- it looks suspiciously thin for a cable that is supposed to be transferring 36 watts at 12 volt.

So, after several hours of silently swearing, everything works! Yay!!!

PS: the suspiciously thin 36 watts cable (the cross diameter of the plug is 2.5mm):

cable-36watts.jpg

That cable is more than capable of the job, it looks like 6 amp speaker cable, which would be fine, same as my cable on my Atik camera.

Thank you Bill! Than it's probably the qhy 101 DC unit. Never mind, i'll use the power unit that came with the cam for cooling and a second power unit from my stash for the chip, and it's a wrap B)

Archived