Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200pds Second light - IC5070 + HH555

Uranium235

Righty ho! I've discovered what was up with the 200pds and why all my stars were smeared during my first outing... Originally I thought it was bad guiding or the mount, but when I took the primary out of the scope for closer inspection it was clearly shuffling about in its cell rather easily. So i fixed it into position using wedges around the mirror and tweaked up the clips a little.

Since then, ive replaced the focuser with a diamond steeltrack - which was a major job in itself as none of the holes in the base matched the ones left by the stock focuser. I must admit to being a bit lazy though because I havent squared it yet, but the results are much, much better than before. All that it needs now is a tweak in the top right corner and it will be a really nice scope for hi-res work.

The Moon did not make things easy last night, must have been about 98% but despite that - the image turned out alright. At this FL, I could clearly make out HH555 which is a jet of gas at the top of the main pillar in the Pelican indicating the presence of a hidden proto star. I'd like to return once the Moon has gone so I can get some better subs, sharpen it up a bit more and sort out that corner (tweaks have already been made, awaiting testing).

IC5070 + HH555

10x900 (Ha)

200pds, Atik 383L+. NEQ6

Thanks for looking :)

28385964306_397e1f5745_k.jpg

Crop:

28136195260_3bdcf9e29a_b.jpg

And a shot of that annoying, massive security light in the sky causing all the bother.....lol

27802406684_ebe7a72ed3_h.jpg

2 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Love the 5070 shot, Rob - lovely clean detail despite the bright Moon. This is tonight's target for me despite the full Moon.

What! Youve got clear sky Steve? :)

Not here mate, I was about to set up but the clouds rolled in and its all gone a bit milky up there. Hope you manage to bag something anyway!

It's not great, Rob, a little 'milky' but last night convinced me to run with whatever was available if I can see stars! Is it a crime to say that the Moon did look spectacular rising over the Downs this evening?

Quite right Steve, one of my colleagues texted me to take a look out the back door - it did look pretty spectacular.... shame I havent got the camera to take advantage of it. The shot I took was with the Ha filter at the shortest exposure length the 383 could handle (0.001s)... and its still over exposed!

The shot I took was with the Ha filter at the shortest exposure length the 383 could handle (0.001s)... and its still over exposed!

It really is bright!

My first sub has just rolled in and I can confirm three things:-

1. I am on target

2. My tracking is good

3. It is rather noisy so I guess there is a lot of moisture up there tonight!

7 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

It really is bright!

My first sub has just rolled in and I can confirm three things:-

1. I am on target

2. My tracking is good

3. It is rather noisy so I guess there is a lot of moisture up there tonight!

Oh dear on #3!  its probably only good enough for testing tonight then - otherwise I'd be throwing in the towel on any serious attempt at something.

19 minutes ago, uhb1966 said:

image 1 is stunning.  I cant imagine tbh how you can substantially improve that?!

It can be pushed quite a bit more :) You know when you are getting there because you have to do less and less processing to it in order to achieve the end result. Plus that top right corner is still bothering me, I wont rest until that is fixed!

Thanks John, Sara and Luis :)

There will be more to come as I get accustomed to this telescope. I'd like to shove the Star71 on top of it though, as Im not quite comfortable with having that sat idle not earning its keep.

Archived