SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help needed with initial set up of NEQ6

oldannie

Have just up-graded to an NEQ6 Pro Synscan after enjoying two years using an HEQ5 Pro.  Remarkably I've made good progress in-spite of being one of the least practically minded people on the planet  and becoming addicted to this hobby very late in life!  When I first got the HEQ5 the manual made poor sense to me and eventually I discovered Astro Baby's site and followed her excellent instructions for accurate polar aligning, which included centering the reticule and setting the scales.  This seemed to work really well for me so I would like to stick as closely as poss to this with the NEQ6 -   is there any reason why I can't do this?   One query I have looking at the HEQ6 manual is that when I set up my HEQ5 I used Polarfinder to find out what time & date Polaris was in transit but the NEQ6 manual says that at 1.00am on October 10 Polaris is in transit anywhere in the world so to use this - I wonder if I've understood this properly?

I've got a Pulsar observatory on order which should arrive Sept time  so the NEQ6 will be a permanent installation - hopefully it won't take me all winter to get everything set up though I have  lots of help from two local astro friends (plus hubbie who's currently slaving away on the obsey base) who've been brilliant .

Many thanks

Annie 

hi Annie, principles should be the same - but I used the Astronomy Shed videos on You Tube when i got mine - found them very helpful - can't get the link at work at the moment, but if you search for COMPLETE MOUNT AND SCOPE SETUP. PART ONE that will get you there - there are about 5 videos, but nothing too long or complicated!

Archived