Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lazing on a Tuesday afternoon...

employee2-4601

Taking advantage of the summer weather (yes, folks, it's finally here!) I set up the scope and had a little look at the sun to see what I could see. Very excited to see three sunspots in close proximity, and quite large, too. However, two turned out to be clusters of smaller spots and even through a 25mm EP without any filters (other than the faithful Astrozap over the aperture), the umbrae were incredibly distinct. Even in simple white light, the sun is a beautiful and rewarding target for observation. I've left the scope set up and I'll be visiting it again later this afternoon. The only downside is that there are a few clouds and I even caught one on camera as it drifted between me and the sun.

I've not played with the photos at all. I used a W58 filter to highlight a little extra detail, although I'm looking at purchasing a Skywatcher H-Alpha filter (it's described as for CCD only, but I can't see why I couldn't use it for straight visual work instead...)

Sun and Clouds.JPG

Sun1.JPG

Sun2.JPG

Lots going on all around the disc and limbs. A big prom on the eastern limb might suggest more to come? Some relatively low intensity, slow/long duration flaring earlier (about a C class I think) too. Only caught that on GOES.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/goes-x-ray-flux

I agree with Paul, it is really warm: a consistent 37C in my garden this afternoon. Much to hot to sketch anything now, but nice for about 2-3 minutes at a time. Got a longer session in this morning.

James

3 minutes ago, jkwhinfrey said:

Lots going on all around the disc and limbs. A big prom on the eastern limb might suggest more to come? Some relatively low intensity, slow/long duration flaring earlier (about a C class I think) too. Only caught that on GOES.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/goes-x-ray-flux

I agree with Paul, it is really warm: a consistent 37C in my garden this afternoon. Much to hot to sketch anything now, but nice for about 2-3 minutes at a time. Got a longer session in this morning.

James

37C?. OK thats HOT. Its only 27C here.

To be fair Paul it's only 28C in the house which is always cooler than outdoors, but I can't see the Sun from here ;)  Where the garden's had the Sun on it, even if it isn't now, there's a BIG difference.

James

It's times like this I'm glad I don't drive to work any more. My sympathy to those that do :( 

Archived