I am very new to using a telescope.  So new that I know nothing as Sgt Schultz would say.  I am getting so frustrated trying to see anything through the telescope that I am almost to the point of selling it and considering my hopes as a lost cause.  

I have the Celestron 8E.  I have tried doing the 3 star alignment, but when I view through the finder and get the little red dot aligned per the manual when I look in the eyepiece all I ever see is a fuzzy light.  I even tried with the big bright moon and all I saw was a fuzzy light.

Can anyone help me?

John B

Hi John and welcome to SGL. :)

You need to get the red dot aligned dead center with the telescope first to ensure they are both pointing at the same area of sky. Start with a low mag eyepiece and keep realigning with increasing powers till you're at 8mm or 10mm (should be enough). Then when you use the 3-star alignment it will be more accurate (do the finder alignment during the day time - it's easier than at at night).

Once you have an object in view at night - you then need to find the focus point for whichever eyepiece you're using. Turn the focus knob in both directions all the way - until you see a large white circle - then a few more turns and it will get smaller and sharper till you see a clear image - but turn it slowly from this point so you don't miss the spot. The moon is a good one to start with. :)

Follow Brantuk's advice and that should get you going. You have a good telescope, so don't give up! With patience, you will get good results and have a lot of fun :icon_biggrin:

If you continue to have problems, it might be well worth contacting the Boise Astronomical Society http://www.boiseastro.org/index.html

I'm sure that one of their members could give you a helping hand, and they organise a good programme of events as well!

One thing about the 6SE and 8SE is that if you set up the red dot finder in daylight on a distant object and get it focused in the EP then there is still a lot of focus movement to get a star to become a point or the Moon to focus.

Use a low power EP, though if I recall Celestron only provide one EP with either the 6SE or 8SE. Around 24mm. But that should give a decent view.

Good comments so far.  Something else I might suggest - until you gain experience and confidence - just try doing a one-star alignment.  Not only does this set up tracking, but it also gives reasonable GoTo, especially when hunting near the alignment star.  Alternatively, you can do a solar align using a planet - said to be quite an accurate method.

As you get used to these simple methods, you can move on to 2- and 3-star alignments.  Meanwhile, you're spending time learning the sky rather doing lengthy alignment procedures!

The 8SE is a good, versatile 'scope.  You'll get there!

Doug.

Nice scope but in a way bigger comes with their own "problems".

Your "problem" will be one of magnification and too much of it, as more magnification means a smaller field of view. My first suggestion is to get yourself a 32mm or 40mm plossl eyepiece. Either one ends up about the same and one of these will give the widest field of view you will reaslitically get. Assumoing that you do not have one then drop the 25mm in that I suspect came with the scope.

To align finder to scope you need to aim the scope at something distant, about 1 mile or preferably 2 miles away. Centre that object in the scope then do not move the scope. You then gently adjust the RDF so the dot from it is over the same object. Then recheck the scope has not moved and start again if it has. Just take your time and do it slowly, no rush. Sounds easy but it may not be, just in case. Learn to laugh when you move it the wrong way. Do not get too good at it as then people will want you to set theirs up. :icon_biggrin: The word gets out fast that John B knows what to do, go see him.

Scope alignment is a case of entering data, and much more relevantly the correct data. Sounds obvious but strangely will often go wrong. Suggest you write down the data then read what is asked for and read the value from the paper sheet you have prepared.

When you get to the actual goto alignment then if you got a 32/40mm plossl use that, as said it is wider and that is relevant, otherwise the 25mm again.

Another aspect of alignment is level the scope as best you can, may not be essential but it helps. The scope has to determine corrections to be applied and the more level it starts out the lower are these corrections. It all helps. For alignment use stars, do not use planets, Arcturus, Deneb, Vega, Altair are all bright, but the Celestron may well suggest others that are a little less well known, also go for 2 star alignment if possible. There have been problems with the 3 star, it works but part of what the 3 star calculates may be out and so it will report a failure, even though it ahs found and centered everything.

Do not go trying for the largest magnification ever known to man, and a few dinosaurs. What the power as these scope need it, so if using batteries then use a new set each time, they will last about an hour.

Lots of good alignment advice above, but it actually sounds like you haven't managed to focus the eyepiece. Have you discovered the focus knob where you put the eyepiece in? Turn it so that the eyepiece moves outwards until it pops the view into focus.

Hope it comes together for you, that's a very capable telescope you've got :)

On 7/18/2016 at 16:55, brantuk said:

Hi John and welcome to SGL. :)

You need to get the red dot aligned dead center with the telescope first to ensure they are both pointing at the same area of sky. Start with a low mag eyepiece and keep realigning with increasing powers till you're at 8mm or 10mm (should be enough). Then when you use the 3-star alignment it will be more accurate (do the finder alignment during the day time - it's easier than at at night).

Once you have an object in view at night - you then need to find the focus point for whichever eyepiece you're using. Turn the focus knob in both directions all the way - until you see a large white circle - then a few more turns and it will get smaller and sharper till you see a clear image - but turn it slowly from this point so you don't miss the spot. The moon is a good one to start with. :)

Thanks for the info.  I don't recall the eyepiece moving when I turned the focus knob.

Yup that's correct. Which bit moves is down to the design of the scope. With fracs and newts the focus tube moves the eyepiece in and outwards. But with cats and maks the eyepiece stays still whilst the mirror is push/pulled back and forth inside by the focus knob turning. :)

Archived