Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cygnus Wall complex in mono *4 pane mosaic*

swag72

This has been ongoing for some time........ To get the complete Cygnus Wall complex in my field of view with the ODK10 I needed a 2x2 pane mosaic. I'm certainly hoping to get a colour version at some time, but it may have to wait for a while. I also think it will probably be a bi colour effort as it will save me quite a lot of capture time.

I welcome all thoughts and comments.

Details
T: ODK10
M: Mesu 200
C: QSI683 with Astrodon 3nm Ha filter

18x1800s in each pane - Totalling 36 hours 

You can see a larger version here  and also on this page I've shown how this fits into the main North American nebula.

Cygnus wall_SGL.jpg

Incredible detail, I don't think I've ever seen the Cygnus wall look so detailed. Doing a mosaic with the resolution you have with that big old scope and CCD combo, really does pull the swan from the clouds. Stunning.

At this very moment, I'm sitting in my Mini in the sweltering heat and humidity of Japan, under a full moon, taking what I can of the NAN and Cygnus wall area. I'm running a dslr with a 7nm filter as it's full moon (and I'm covered in DEET  the mosquitos here just love my blood!!!), but I know it'll look absolutely nothing like your image lol....God, I wish it would though!!! Still, your image will give the motivation to sit it out, I just hope my DSLR doesn't catch fire. Dang it's hot!!! 

Thanks for the inspiration. :) 

Ps sorry for the big pic, its uploaded from my phone. 

image.jpeg

Cheers guys for looking and commenting. The ODK10 and 683 are a great performing combo and everything atop of a mesu makes imaging as simple as it can be.

I hope to get the OIII soon.... So many variables though!!!

Indeed - Certainly very much up to your usual "house standard" Sara (and way beyond mine, especially considering your OTA is nearly 5x the FL of mine!).  Although this mono version shows excellent structure/detail, I'm really looking forward to seeing this as a bi-colour :)

Clear moonless night - no idea what you're on about!

Just concluded my testing under a full moon as that seems to be the only time the clouds break.  Now have to do it all again as too undersampled at 3.1 arcpix/sec - shame as FoV was great but 8300 having to go on now.  Another 6 weeks an might be able to test that :)

Paddy

That's quite some endeavour, Sara - nicely done. I can certainly see the appeal of your longer focal length telescope if mosaics are on the cards.

Have to say testing stuff is THE most fruitless and soul destroying endeavour I've ever done!!!

Sometimes it does feel that way I have to confess but when you nail it, it feels sooooo good!

On 21/07/2016 at 06:23, swag72 said:

Thanks Adrian - Glad that you like it!

Enjoy your testing Paddy!!! Have to say testing stuff is THE most fruitless and soul destroying endeavour I've ever done!!!

Something i did not need reminding of :) well clear tonight and 8300 about to be fitted should make it far easier - makes good use of moontime i suppose.

Paddy

27 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

well clear tonight and 8300 about to be fitted should make it far easier - makes good use of moontime i suppose.

Full moon is certainly a good time for testing. I think some things are 'easier' to test than others...... When I was testing the new Avalon mount early this year, it involved far more than I'd ever anticipated.

Archived